Wednesday 2 January 2008

Happy New Year (Jan 1 2008)


Happy New Year to all my readers if there are any out there…. A quiet New Year’s Eve for me as usual, chatting to the English couple next door who now live in New Zealand, and quietly reading on my terrace. At midnight, there was the sound of the odd firework, but that was drowned out by the noises of the roosters and chickens which are everywhere, and very noisy. And at 12.05, everything returned to normal, with just the sound of the waves crashing against the outer reef – bliss! I have made a few friends here in Paradise – not given them names yet, but my 2 faithful geekos appear each night to eat as many mozzies as they can – but frankly they are not doing too good a job! I am obviously the culinary delight of the mozzie world, and despite lashings of Bushman deterrent (strong enough for the Aussie bush apparently…..) they have taken a liking to me. I think the rainy season has something to do with it too. This New Year morning started off fine, bright and sunny, but whilst at the bar up the road (no, not for a drink, it’s a wireless hotspot and I was Skypeing Mum – honest. View from said spot before the rain came shown in pic), suddenly a fierce wind blew up and the rain started. Before it got too heavy, I decided to get back to my little “house” about ¼ mile away, but wasn’t quick enough. It was an interesting experience – like walking in a warm power shower that was turned on to full. But the local people riding by on their scooters (the main means of transport) didn’t seem fazed at all. Drowned rat is the look du jour........