Thursday 11 April 2013

Now Norman No Mates in Thailand (3 - 9 April 2013)

After such a great time in Vietnam it's now time for the three musketeers to travel our own way again for a while, Ant and David in jetsetter style, off to Berlin via one night in London, and me, less glamorously, backpacker style, via Air Asia to Khao Lak in Thailand. My flights took me through the new Air Asia hub, the old Don Mueang airport in Bangkok. I was disappointed when they moved their hub from the more convenient newer airport, Suvarnabhumi, and this airport looked old and tired when I arrived. But fewer people mean no queues for immigration, a real plus! But actually the departure area is much nicer than domestic at the other airport and I discover a regular shuttle bus between the two so it looks like back to more Air Asia flights for me.
I've been to Khao Lak before and like it as it's a lot quieter than Phuket but only 45 minutes or so from the airport, less time than it takes to get to some of the beaches on Phuket itself. All low rise, local regs don't allow any buildings higher than a coconut palm and there are no girly bars. Most of the hotels are directly on the beach with the road and loads of little shops, markets and restaurants in a long strip behind but far enough away so you can't hear the traffic noise from the main road going north with lorries and buses. This place was the hardest hit in Thailand in the tsunami, but this hotel has a bIg hill behind and after the efficient way the Thai's handled the tsunami alert and evacuation when I was in Ao Nang last year, I, not wishing to speak too soon, have confidence in their early warning systems and organisation. I have a few films on my iPad I have yet to watch, The Impossible, all about Khao Lak in the wake of the tsunami, is one. Can't yet decide if it would be good to watch whilst I am here or not...
The hotel I am in, the Sensimar Beachfront, is "new", rebuilt from the shell of one almost flattened in the tsunami, only been open a few months. Great place and a great rate, whilst still 10% more expensive than anticipated when I booked due to the unlucky combination of a strong baht and an even weaker pound... But no matter, I am in my fave type of room, a pool access, and only over 18's allowed so I feel it's safe to go into the pool...






Breakfast on the deck overlooking the blue sea, proper bread, what more could a girl aak for? Oh yes, why why! I wasn't disappointed on this one on my birthday. As I sat drinking my coffee, catching up with a bit of candy crush, out the corner of my eye I spotted a candle, two glasses of wine and a cake being borne ceremoniously towards me. I decided quickly it couldn't be for me, I hadn't flagged this when I checked in. But that was no match for Sensimar's customer service, obviously they had noted it from my passport when I checked in. I noticed a bit of a conflab as they were not sure whether to deliver both glasses of wine to this lone breakfaster, sadly, the decision went against me and it was a single glass that arrived with the cake, a card and a loud chorus of "Happy Birthday". Hard to be gracious when you are so embarrassed as the whole restaurant looked on but I did my best... What people arriving after this little ceremony and seeing me knocking back wine at nine in the morning, I dread to think!


The weather has been really hot too now we are in the slow build up to the wet season. Temperatures in the mid thirties, going down to a cool thirty at night... Ah, the pleasures of a pool access room, but getting wet in the pool is good practice for Songkran coming up in a few days...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:ถนนเพชรเกษม,Takua Pa,Thailand