Thursday 10 April 2014

It's a bit like a London bus (22 March - 8 April 2014)



Snake sightings that is. You don't see any for weeks then three come along all at once. The first, not much of an issue as it was dead in the road. The second was the cobra just down the road from Walker's that was captured and taken away by the emergency service volunteers. I must say that's the closest I've ever been to a real live wild cobra, and as close as I ever want to get! Big thanks have to go to the rescue services, all volunteers who came along with their blue lights blazing to catch the thing and re locate it back in the jungle. The third was rustling around in the Nature Bar last night, I saw all the guys with sticks trying to find it but didn't see it, nor did they catch it... Khao Lak is a really narrow strip of coastline with impenetrable jungle rising up from it. The road has been cut through this and means that all the hotels, beach and most other buildings are on the sea side of the road where they slope gently down to the sea with just about one row of buildings on the other side before the jungle starts. On a positive note, all the snake sightings have been on the jungle side of the road which makes sense. The road, Highway 4, is the main road from Phuket up to Bangkok and is always busy with coaches, lorries, buses etc. I find it hard to cross at times so I guess the snakes find the same.... at least I hope so!






But the lie of the land makes for a good morning walk. Going south from here across a headland, the road has crash barriers so you feel a bit safer and there are spectacular views along the coastline one way and massive trees and dense jungle the other. The only thing spoiling it are the remains of the Chinese lanterns hanging on the trees, they look so magical at night but so nasty in daylight and every day there seem more.






I am now in Nang Thong Bay, south of Bang Niang where I was before and probably the main centre here. Although when I say main, that doesn't mean a lot. Compared to other tourist places in Thailand, this is really quiet, again all low rise places, a reasonable choice of places to eat but not at all built up. It's a centre for the diving which apparently is pretty good around here, not that I'll be trying that! And nice to be able to go back to Walker's Inn for good company, wine and food.
As usual, I am having a bit of a flashpack towards the end of this trip and am in a lovely villa on the beach with my own little pool. But as the temperature and humidity rise as the wet season approaches being able to take a quick dip every now and again is great. On some days the weather pages tell me it feels like 48C but the water is a bit like a hot bath so not that refreshing. But I guess it does seem churlish to moan about the temperature in my own little pool... And my LiLo Gill skills that I acquired in Koh Chang when Carole and I were there are coming along nicely. Back in Blighty I will miss floating around on my Barbie pink Lilo, whiling away the hot afternoon... I am working up to a selfie of me and said Lilo but so far my balance skills haven't allowed it. Will keep up the practice...



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Thanon Phet Kasem,Khuekkhak,Thailand