Thursday 31 December 2015

A samall (sic) Tinglish lesson (26 - 30 December 2015)

So Xmas is over and my first job on Boxing Day morning is to get Slingbox up and running and watch Downton Abbey. Despite freezing at a few pivotal moments I really enjoyed it. 
I have also spent my time here usefully improving my linguistic skills. Careful not to sound patronising every time I go somewhere new for a drink, I always ask for white wine and every time we go through the whole "aaah, why why" conversational exchange. My real Thai language is not improving although I have added one word to my four word vocabulary, "pakchee", the word for coriander so I can add "no" before it and avoid it everywhere. But my real linguistic breakthrough has been in my understanding of "Tinglish". I have realised that when Thai's speak English (a hell of a lot better than any English people appear to speak Thai), they put an "a" in any word beginning in two consonants. The conversations went like this:
"Your swimming pool has gone green again"
Puzzled looks, so I try moving the words around, this sometimes works.
"Your swimming pool again green"
More puzzled looks, I point to the pool and then to her green top.
A look of recognition
"Aaaah, sawimmng pool gareen, fix tomorrow"
The second learning conversation was me trying to explain how I had broken a glass trying to catch a rather large spider. The word spider was a real stumbling block so I Google a spider image. The resulting smile and "ah, sapider!" were a joy to behold. I just think she was glad it wasn't the crocodile she thought my acting ability was trying to indicate....
The third in 7/11 when trying to buy stamps. This really challenged my Thinglish. "Do you have stamps" didn't work, so I decided to use my Tinglish and leave off the end of the word and asked for "stam". Still no joy so I showed her the postcards and pointed to the area where the stamps go. This produced that lovely understanding smile and "Aaaaah, satams".
So now I always remember to use "samall" but never of course in connection with why why....

But in between all this new learning I continue to walk as much as I can and the morning walk is a chorus of Hello's, Bonjour's and Sawadeeka's. In order of appearance there's:
The French man who owns the cafe where Carole and I partake of the odd glass of rose when she's here. We are both convinced he used to be in the foreign legion..
The laundry lady with loads of cats and the most jumbled laundry I have ever seen, no idea how the right things ever get back to their owners.
The girls in the massage parlour getting ready for their day - that is real massage, none of the ones in this area are the "Thai" type, if you get my drift!
The laundry lady whose dogs also woof out a hello.
An older lady driving her motorbike and big sidecar with hot breakfast stuff, satay cooked to order on the portable BBQ.
An older man with breakfast buns on his side car tooting his horn as he detours round all the houses, I just hope no one's trying for a lie in...
Another massage lady who always tells me "exercise good".
The travel agent with his very tidy booking stall and family near the temple.
The Indian Thai lady in the shop near the temple.
The Taxi driver in his bamboo hut on the main road on the way back.
A bonjour from a Jeremy Paxman older brother lookalike on his bike.
The one armed man.
I'm exhausted by all these greetings by the time I get back!

And now is the time of year when the stiffies arrive - and of course I am talking about the invitations that are propped up on your mantelpiece... Mine to the New Year party of the year arrived on 30 December, slightly close to he wire I feel. Not sure I can face the juggling bartender again so soon..... But there again cocktails at less than a quid just may help!
And those of you who read the last post are probably sitting on the edge of your seats wondering was it a real mince pie or not. Sadly the Xmas mini pie miracle was not to be and it was exactly what it looked like, a small (samall) apple turnover with a rogue sultana peeping out the edge. Close but no cigar... As to whether the Mont Clair Brut miraculously tasted anything like wine will have to wait. I decided to keep that discovery to New Year's Eve and like a soap have yet another nail biting cliffhanger for you all...