Saturday 9 January 2016

Monetise that blog... (6 - 7 January 2016)

Over the last few years the buzzword around blogs and new websites is how to "monetise" - i.e. after all your writing effort, get some profit out of it. It's all about getting lots of hits and then redirecting those hits to other sites and being paid for doing it. Or just placing straightforward ads on your page. There are widgets you can add to a travel blog like mine with weather or foreign exchange or hotel booking sites and Google now make it quite simple to do. But dear readers, I do not want to make the blog a jumble of flashing adverts for "Check your PPI NOW!!!" and confusing links so it looked like the whole monetise thing was not for me. But this year I have stumbled upon a way to do it, if not for money, for tasty goodies. All you need to do is write a series of posts that are so pathetic about you missing things like mince pies and champagne. Miraculously they appear (Xmas miracles after all?). Thank you Carole for bringing over the posh champagne and thank you Sue and Tim for my fantastic box of mince pies, exactly what I needed. So appreciated.

Not sure Dragon's Den would approve of my monetising method but it works for me.  I am now composing my early December 2016 posts. Now, how can I be so pathetic and needy that someone brings me a full on turkey, sprouts and stuffing Xmas dinner?