Thursday 21 April 2016

Oriental memories (8 - 11 April 2016)


So on to the traditional end of season flashpack, this time to Bangkok for a return visit to the iconic Oriental on the banks of the Chao Phraya river. Bittersweet memories as I was last here with Kev many moons ago. Not much has changed since my last visit but now they have another small pool and cabanas as well as the original one. When Kev and I were here we lolled about for a few days by said pool and this time it was more of the same! The only memory I didn't repeat was the turn around the ballroom. When Kev and I were here we found a very ornate small ballroom in the Author's Wing and decided to act out part of the "King and I" by recreating the polka scene as we took an energetic turn around the ballroom. Looking back, I hope it was so long ago it was pre cctv....

The hotel is amazing, not just the building itself, but the staff. I got a big welcome back and "welcome home", they appear to keep such good records and make sure they match them up when you return even after all those years. And the staff always call you by name, they must only employ people with exceptional memories.... A few economies stand out though. In the "old days" you got two dressing gowns, one cosy towelling one and another lightweight one. Now it's just the lightweight one, but in this day and age I guess we all need to economise...

This time it was my birthday whilst I was there so I used that as an excuse to lounge about round the pool yet again in one of the new cabanas where amazing little food offerings were delivered along with cold towels and water throughout the day. And the hotel helped me celebrate my birthday with a cake and their signature macaroons and a very embarrassing rendition of "Happy Birthday" on the Riverside Terrace at breakfast along with a lovely bouquet of orchids, two cards and another cake in the room. A lovely day.

I really thought the hotel had gone the extra mile the day after my birthday with an enormous, very impressive firework display launched from a barge on the river facing the hotel. The fireworks were so big and loud they made the hotel shake.... and at the end more fireworks gradually spelled out the words Happy Birthday - but then the four letter name after that was not Gill but Vlad..... Looks like the problem with the rouble hasn't hit everyone then!
So as I took the hotel limo in one last flashpack to the airport any pretensions of grandeur I had were well and truly squashed by Thai Immigration. It was nearly a quick journey from the Oriental Bangkok to the Bangkok Hilton. After checking in I went through the immigration channel only to be hauled out and told I had overstayed. Trying to explain to the woman that I had a year's visa and had reported in after 90 days to Samui immigration as required made no difference. All she could say was "you no risten". And you got the feeling that if you didn't "risten" and do as you were told the may be consequences. My passport was thrown on top of a heap of others and I was told to wait with no idea how long that would be or indeed what the hell was going on. After about half an hour I was called back to the counter and told I had overstayed. Explaining again that I had already paid £125 for a one year visa of which I had used only four months and had reported to Samui immigration as required after 90 days and who had provided the form that was residing in my passport as proof, I was told that it was the wrong form. So due to Samui immigration incompetence, I had apparently overstayed and the fine was 16500 baht, nearly £350 pounds, Thai cash only please, now. Off I was marched again to the bureau de change for the cash. So my £350 fine plus the £125 visa charge added a grand total of £475 to my trip. At this moment I'm not sure it was worth it. The Thai's need to get this sort of stuff sorted as it leaves visitors with a shocking impression of the country. But at least the Bangkok Hilton was avoided and perhaps a there was a touch of hubris, I should never have tempted fate with my blog post "a brush with the law"...