Monday 10 March 2008

One good turn deserves another (Sun 9 March 2008)

Gilly no mates again today as both Josh and Amber have gone on their separate ways to Phnom Penh and then home. So another chillin’ out day for me. Wifi has been out at the hotel (really frustrating as you think it’s you….) So tonight after collecting yet more laundry (another 2kg load for the princely sum of 80p…), I go to the little internet shop a couple of doors down to Skype home. It’s a great place with real added service. A daytime picture of it is attached. It’s dusk when I sit down outside (they thread the wire through the window so I connect my own laptop), not something that would have been possible over the last few nights as there has been torrential rain and thunderstorms each evening going on for hours. But with dusk come the mozzies, so they pop out and offer you a free mozzie spray just in case (and bear in mind this is only costing 50p an hour anyway). And then they thread more wires all over the place so that there is a cooling fan on you too. But it’s not all luxury – the outside bit is a sort of alleyway with a lovely line in purple plastic chairs and I realised that those black things scuttling around were probably cockroaches and the odd smell wafting every so often was the sewer I was sitting on top of…. At one point I thought my bag moved (it was on the floor). I checked and it wasn’t the vibration of my mobile phone, and at that time the only other things moving were those little black scuttling things…. And then a rather mangy looking cat appeared on the table a few feet away, and was showing interest in the plastic bag there – he started chewing at it and then decided to carry it away past me and it smelt awful. But as one good turn (mozzie spray and fan) deserves another, I pop my head into the shop to tell them that the cat was making off with their shopping. The girl was really grateful as she rescued her dinner for that night – half cat chewed dried fish. She is really friendly, but luckily enough not quite so friendly to offer to share her dinner!