Friday 14 March 2008

Waves at the Wanta (Thurs 13 - Fri 14 March 2008)




I came to Koh Samui at this time of year for the sunny days and calm blue seas – a trademark of their dry season. Well at least it’s dry…. But really windy and the sea is anything but calm with huge waves rolling in on the back of the wind – even the infinity pool has waves and I think the beach could host a surfing championship. The sea colour is also more Liverpool than Lamai, as the rough seas are churning up the sand and it’s rather cloudy brown. I sat out tonight for a sundowner and my glass of wine was in danger of blowing over – unusual weather apparently but has been like it for about a month. But the little town/village of Lamai is one main and a few smaller little streets back from the beach and you don’t get the wind at all. Here you can get everything you would ever need from the myriad of little shops and night market – I was astonished to see so many Tiffany shops here – they must be genuine as all the jewellery was in those nice little turquoise pouches…. My main shop though was for books, the only thing it seems in short supply and took some searching out. The hotel has a library where people leave books they have read. So that was my first port of call this morning, but I had noticed very few Brits here – and the book selection confirmed it – if only I spoke Russian or German I would be fine…. I found two English language books out of about a hundred on offer. So off to search for a book exchange shop which I eventually found that had a huge choice so I won’t lack reading material. Out of the hotel there is more evidence of Brits – English Pubs (must go to the Churchill Pub for a Sunday roast – available every day of the week!) Perhaps the lack of English books just means that we sell ‘em on rather than leave them for others…. There is obviously also something of an Italian Mafia influence here too – I have found a fish and chip stall called “The Codfather” and a pet shop called “The Dogfather”. I can report that “The Codfather” does a great line in freshly cooked chips (real potatoes) and mushy peas which I had last night and very good they were too – real mushy peas – oh dear, what do they say about Brits abroad but at least I wasn’t downing pints of lager at the same time. It’s in an area with little bars – actually the whole town is full of little bars (Happy hour 2pm – 8pm in most, longest I’ve ever seen), and as I waited for my chips to cook (about 7.30pm) I noticed that the bars looked slightly overstaffed… lots of skimpily clad girls (well it is hot here…) and very few patrons, but I guess that may change as the night wears on. One had a strange centrepiece – it looked like a fireman’s pole…. It’s also nice to see such a lot of cross cultural romance. Lots of young Thai girls with both young and old Westerners, there must be something in the water to make this such a romantic place….. But for all its sleaze, Lamai seems a nice place. It’s a great place to wander in the evening with all the shops and stalls open, and with a “seaside” atmosphere. Price are ok too (just had dinner and a glass of wine for a fiver), but seem really high after Cambodia! The hotel is lovely and the restaurant very nice (see pics). Breakfast is very relaxing and not a buffet in sight – you order and it’s brought to you by a smartly clad waiter with decent coffee as you look out over the sea. I’m happy!