Sunday 15 March 2009

Not like "The Beach" (10 - 13 March 2009)





















Sihanoukville, even though I love it is not a beach to be proud of, and certainly not like the one in the the novel of the same name. There must have been a bit of a storm out at sea as the amount of flotsam and jetsam over the last few days has been worse than normal. It’s quite tough to do a long walk down the beach as the sun is so strong and it’s so hot. But I discovered that I can walk down the road where there is a bit more shade from the odd tree and the walk back along the beach. I walk right to the end of the road where it has now been closed off for development. The beach here is at the very edge of Sihanoukville town and appears to be more a local beach than a tourist one and the mess is even worse. The restaurants are large and grubby with unspeakable looking changing rooms. I also think the storm has eroded some of the beach as there is a bit of a shelf where it has been pounded by the surf. There’s also the odd abandoned boat just left to rot. There was an ad that amused me for a boat trip I assume is meant for adrenaline junkies only proudly boasting “no a relaxable boat” – I chose not to take that trip!
One day I paid a visit to the market but without success. Given the heat of the day I walk into the downtown area late in the afternoon (about half an hour walk). In every other Asian city I have been to the night market is central to the economy – but not, I discover, in Sihanoukville. Just as I arrive, the stalls were closing down. At least it saved me from buying things, but on the way back I was tempted to buy a pot or two from the man with the fantastic pot lorry (see pic).