Tuesday 23 March 2010

Glad I didn't wear my red shirt... (19- 20 March 2010)



I have been a little concerned over the last few days about the large red shirt protests in Thailand, mainly in Bangkok, where the supporters of the old leader (now living outside Thailand) are protesting for a few days. When this happened a couple of years ago, the airport was closed for a eight days leaving people stranded. But the news seemed to indicate it was violence free and the demo’s under control, so I didn’t need to change my plans. I had to overnight in Bangkok due to flight times and my usual long winded journey from HCMC to Hong Kong (again....) and on to Bangkok. I had booked to stay in the Great Residence, near the airport where I have stayed before. I can still recommend it – great clean room, private bathroom, aircon, tv etc, and including free wifi, breakfast and airport transfer in a rather posh car – all for a bargain £18. And that’s with a terrible pound and a really strong baht. The hotel, when I stayed last year had only two buildings completed, and now the one under construction then is finished. They have built a little spa (The Great Relax), a restaurant (the Great Restaurant) and a swimming pool – but like last time I ponder over the location, it’s sort of under a flyover on the airport road – like the A4 in West London – a swimming pool with an interesting view!
But on the short journey from airport to hotel, I see why no protesters have got anywhere near the airport. There are solidiers everywhere, and police roadblocks stopping all cars to check them. But staying out near the airport did prove to be a wise move – the next day, Bangkok traffic was paralysed by the demonstrators and it would have proved a difficult, if not impossible journey to get to the airport. So instead, I take the £3 limo hotel car and get there with no problems, and into the Bangkok Airways lounge.