Wednesday 31 March 2010

A moonless full moon... (30 March 2010)

I was quite excited to be in Thailand for the full moon – there are normally parties everywhere in Thailand on this auspicious night and lots of life. Not so for this one. It was a case of “be careful what you wish for – take two”. A while back in Vietnam it was so hot I was quite wishing for the normal winds to arrive – which they did, with a vengeance. This time in Khao Lak, it has been really hot and humid and I said to Ant in an email that it might be quite refreshing to have the odd downpour – well the gods were listening again (why don’t they do the same when I wish to win the lottery.....) and suddenly it appears the rainy season has arrived somewhat early. For the last three or four days it has been glorious sunshine until mid afternoon and then the black clouds roll in over the green hills behind the beach for a monumental thunderstorm. It clears the air a bit but it does mean that the cloud cover covers up the moon totally – full or not! The only illumination in the sky tonight are lightning flashes and the rather lovely hot air balloon lanterns that they let go for luck which seem to float really high in the sky. And lovely Khao Lak also appears to retain its quieter family atmosphere – no evidence of any drug and booze filled full moon parties here!
But I guess that is the reason it’s a bit of a blog desert from this end. Khao Lak is a lovely relaxing place and I am enjoying whiling away the time wandering the shops and reading a lot. There are excursions to do – mainly by boat to Phi Phi island and Krabi where Ant and I went a couple of years ago. There are also elephant shows which are not my thing or trips to the great metropolis of Phuket to see the shops followed by an evening drag extravaganza. So I am just chillin’ out on a Thai beach which has always been a part of the plan!
These two pictures give you some idea of my mornings and afternoons!