Friday 21 January 2011

This is your captain speaking..... (15 - 18 January, 2011)

.......we have just landed in Antigua, welcome to the UK.
I could have been forgiven for thinking I had missed my stop on the BA flight and gone on to Gatwick by mistake as I arrived at The Halcyon Cove Hotel in Dickenson Bay, back in Antigua. British voices are everywhere, as are copies of the Sun and OK magazine (must try to pinch one of those, have missed it.... OK mag I mean.....)
But my timing is decidedly off. I arrive and the five cricket teams who had been staying here for the Twenty Twenty tournament had just checked out to go on to the next stage of the competition in Barbados.....
I got this place at a bargain basement price (especially compared to what we have been paying out here) on ba.com, so wasn't expecting too much, but have actually been pleasantly surprised. But is the fact that ba.com were selling so low means they had a lot of contracted rooms to shift, another sign of the Caribbean land based economy being up the spout perhaps? The beach is one of the best I've seen here, with white powdery sand and real turquoise sea, more picture postcard stuff. All to do with coral rather than volcanic I understand......



I stayed here years ago, and parts of it still look familiar, it's not changed much in all that time. The room is a bit tired, but is clean, comfortable, with the usual aircon, fridge, coffee maker and flat screen tv, which is more than we got at the expensive Nisbet Plantation. And I get a sea view which is really nice. The beach is a bit busier than I remember, with enterprising locals taking up big areas for sunbeds for the cruise passengers who visit here. The hotel is at one end of the beach so doesn't feel crowded at all. Last time I was here, I was asked to be a witness at a wedding, wonder what that bride and groom are up to now.... I haven't seen a wedding here yet, but sure I will.... Food standards are no better than anywhere else we've been and the only option for dinner at the hotel (and I can't find anywhere else locally) is the "themed buffet", not one of my favourites, but unless I take a taxi ride out, there is little choice. Think it was Italian tonight as checked tablecloths appeared, but could be wrong.... And it's really expensive, but I can't mind too much as the room is such a bargain. But I appear to be the only one who has to sign for anything as I am not the proud wearer of an all inclusive wristband in a rather striking royal blue..... I could sign up for this deal for about £45 a day, actually quite reasonable given the cost of stuff here, but feel the temptation to both over eat bad food and over drink good rum punch would be too much....
There is an a la carte restaurant on a small pier jutting out into the sea called the Warri Pier, if I can scrape up something smart enough, I might try that one night. It's only open on occasional nights so I might need to plan... now where on earth did I pack that sparkly frock?



Even here, the dreaded dress code cannot be escaped. What is it about here that makes even a bad themed buffet restaurant want a dress code? Perhaps they think if people dress up a bit the food won't taste as bad? But it has been relaxed a bit apparently and I am told in the room bumph that "tailored shorts and jeans are now acceptable in both restaurants, ladies wear blouses and dresses or slacks for dinner". Wonder what it was before - suits and cocktail dresses perhaps? Now if only I owned a pair of slacks.... But Ant would still not be able to eat here...... not of course that he would want to! Having said that though, most people do seem to dress up a bit, perhaps I should make more of an effort..... Talking of cocktail dresses, I had another invite to a Manager's cocktail party. Never being one to turn down a free drink and a canape, I donned my cocktail frock (well, my cleanest skirt and top.....) and intended to go. But as in Nevis, I took one look and couldn't face it......


Had a fun day on Tuesday when I met a nice couple from the States at a beach bar who were staying at Sandals next door. They said it was very nice, but they wanted to escape for a while... Then met a crowd of the entertainment staff from a Norwegian cruise ship who were all friendly Aussies, dancers and singers and the wardrobe mistress, we had a good laugh over a few rum punches.
But most of the time I am being lazy, looking atvthe blue sea and racing against the clock to finish a book. I downloaded it from the library at home, but it disappears as if by magic after 21 days, and I was a bit slow at starting it....
Must dash now, am off to karaoke........



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad