Thursday 24 February 2011

Don't Put All Your Eggs In One Basket (20 February 2011)

I've been having a little difficulty with the Thai language today. Take the title above. The correct translation is "don't send all your underwear to the laundry at one time, as they'll lose half of it and you're stuffed...." And then try and argue the toss in Thai and get them to try and find it. I lost. All I can hope is some poor bloke finding a collection of ladies undies in his laundry will take them back..... But given the Asian way of not losing face, I'm not sure I'll ever see them again as even if they do find them they won't want to admit their mistake. Hey ho. Funny thing was, I took this lot to a different laundry after overhearing a conversation at the one I used to use where some bloke had not got a shirt back.... He got nowhere either......
The other problems with the Thai language were less expensive. I am continually asked to "buy taxi", it was only today that the penny dropped and they were asking me if I wanted a " bike taxi". And getting the right wifi code earlier was frustrated for ages when Kilo 1 2 3 was actually Zero 1 2 3. We got there in the end!
I have spent another day looking around the island, this time in an unplanned way. I was heading for Bophut, the Fisherman's village in the North and duly stopped a songthaew (baht bus). It was only as we were on our way that I realised I had had yet another language malfunction. The "chay ka nar ton" that he had barked at me and I had nodded at as if I understood actualy meant I had to "change to a different car in Nathon", the ferry port at the other side of the island and in the opposite direction to where I wanted to go. But no matter, it was a fun diversion, I saw more of the island and the driver made double the bahts as it was twice the distance it should have been, wins all round...... At said Nathon, I duly changed to a different songthaew and made my way to Bophut.



It's a really nice place, quite small with a pale, narrow beach, calm sheltered blue water and a view out to hangover island - or rather Koh Phangnan where the full moon party actually took place last night, even though the full moon was the day before. I think the ban on alcohol sales for Buddha Day probably forced the change in date!
I think this is the posh side of the island as the Four Seasons is just up the road and there is a new "W" that has just opened near here too. I stopped for a while at the Billabong Surf Club overlooking the beach and was treated to an impromptu concert. The guy who was doing the "turn" at the afternoon party was practising his set and belting out all the old Elton John classics to me and the bar staff...
After my morning travels I realised it was a two car journey to get back to Lamai, so headed into Chewang for another look at the shops and a Starbucks on the way. But no joy on the shopping front, it's same, same as before, and still no chance of fitting into any of the cozzies on sale unless I pop to Bangkok for a bit of lipo..... now there's an idea! But in fact that has been done before. I can pass on this gossip now as it's not Buddha Day. There's a Brit girl here who has an Amazonian physique, albeit with quite large hands and a fairly deep voice. She is very proud of her body, and even though generally it's not "done" here, wanders the beach and pool showing off her surgically improved boobs. But according to a couple of Brits who have been coming here for the last three years as apparently has she, she has changed rather drastically in a lot of ways and now gives any Thai ladyboy a run for their money.... An impressive advert for Thai body surgery!
Chewang was overrun with hundreds of motorbikes and looked like a Harley Davison convention, but I understand it was the Samui Pirates Bike Ride on behalf of the Thai Red Cross. An impressive collection of modern and vintage machines went roaring through the streets. But I did find a "car" home and didn't have to rely, even with all these bikes around, on "buying a taxi"!



*footnote - someone obviously decided against keeping my lost undies and I now have got 80% back. Where the rest are, who knows....

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad