Saturday 19 February 2011

No Beer For Buddha (18 February 2011)


Today is Mahga Puja Day in Thailand, which is a national holiday, and sometimes known as Buddha Day. It celebrates a day nine months after the Buddha’s enlightenment when a large number of monks appeared one day and he preached to them of the three fundamental teachings of Buddhism which are:
Not to do evil
To do good
To purify the mind



I did my bit this evening and made a visit to the temple. The temple here at Lamai is quite workaday and also acts as a community hall. Similar in design to lots of others but smaller, with a small stupa and temple building. I was a bit concerned about the dress code as I know they can be strict here and online it tells you that as well as the usual arms and legs to be covered, you should wear shoes that have backs in them, which I don't have. But I needn't have worried, everyone was in flip flops and a lot of the local girls were sporting very short skirts, much more relaxed than temples in Bangkok. Very few temple wraps around, just normal clothes, but I was still glad I had made the effort.
It appeared as if people were visiting on their way home from work. Each person walks around the outside of the temple three times holding a lighted candle and some flowers, it's nice to watch. They also make the usual temple offerings which include things for the monks. My favourite amongst all the yellow cellophaned packages was a gift set of toothbrushes, toothpaste and other essentials, duly wrapped in yellow and proudly sporting the Tesco logo (there is huge Tesco Superstore just up the road), where they obviously do a good trade in these. Must look out for them when I'm home.... Perhaps they were on double points......


Apparently, many people will attempt to observe the Five Precepts today, even if only for a few days. This is how I got on:

To abstain from harming living things (sorry, I just had to spray that mozzie)
To abstain from stealing (definitely, but does this mean that they don't observe this normally?)
To abstain from sexual immorality (definitely, but not sure about the fat German's and the Thai girls...)
To abstain from telling lies, from backbiting, gossip, and intrigue (if only I'd heard some gossip...)
To abstain from all intoxicants (ah, perhaps just a small pre dinner duty free gin in the room...)
In addition, some Buddhists will also observe a further three precepts, which are:
To abstain from eating after midday (no chance!)
To abstain from singing, dancing and public entertainment, and wearing perfume or ornaments (I managed most of this, but did keep my earrings on)
To abstain from using a high bed or soft chair (does a sunbed count....)

I suppose I could have done better.....

The one about abstaining from alcohol is interesting as it has a visible effect on the little town, where it is not available today. Everywhere is very quiet, most of the bars are closed and in those that are open and the restaurants, the patrons are all drinking Coke and 7Up from bottles with straws, looking like a load of children's parties. There is a store that sells beer that has chairs outside and a motley collection of Europeans were drinking beer from bottles wrapped in white carrier bags like wino's in New York. At least they had the grace to look guilty.
I'm not sure that the big bar here by the crossroads is doing its bit though, most people were drinking very large mugs of coffee..... I think that it was like in India where beer was served in teapots! Also today the town has more of a Saga look about it Anyone under the age of thirty has taken the boat over to Koh Phangan for the monthly Full Moon Party which is an all night drink and drug fest. I guess if the precept about no intoxicating substances is taken seriously there, there will be an island full of very disappointed people!