Monday 2 May 2011

Wiffy And Weddings (29 April - 1 May 2011)

Today is the big day at home, the Royal Wedding. But it is, it seems, also quite big out here. The front page of the National paper, the Nation, has had some aspect of the wedding as its headline for the last few days. But I guess as they revere their Royal Family here, they are also interested in other Royal proceedings. My plan to watch in on the iPad have been scuppered by the odd wifi here. It cuts out every few minutes on the iPad and asks you to re log in. It's a little better on the laptop, but that requires a power source so have moved the deck furniture around, managed to plug it in and off we go, just by the pool. I also have the backup of a snowy tv picture from BBC World, but that has a Thai language voiceover, Huw Edwards does look odd with his mouth moving, but a Thai girl's voice emerging..... But mostly, like the wedding itself, it went well, only requiring two mad dashes across the decking to catch the first glimpse of the frock and the balcony kiss as the wifi decided to drop just at those two moments!



I was also able to cheer the happy couple with dusty bottle of Prosecco I found in the Supermarket, the nearest I could find to champagne, it appears Thai's are not big drinkers....
My wifi issues continue today. I was woken at 7.30 this morning by strange sounds as the aircon turned on and off, followed by a loud blast in the distance. An explosion at a local substation has knocked out the power, and with it obviously the aircon, and less obviously, the water, I guess it must be pumped. The only water that hasn't turned off is that from the sky, I have been lulled into a false sense of security for the last few days with wall to wall sunshine, for today, it appears to be wall to wall rain! The hotel tell me that the power is being worked on but may be some hours..... Especially with the "Thai time" factor..... Oh well, I will just have to drink the last of the Prosecco that I (surprisingly.....) have left before it warms up as of course the fridge is off too..... Cheers!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad