Tuesday 13 December 2011

Where did all that time go... (7 December 2011)

Here I am back in Thailand, feel like it was only yesterday I was here. Am as usual ensconced in the Great Residence Hotel near the airport before my flight to Phuket tomorrow. It was odd leaving the UK without Ant this time, but only 30 sleeps to go before our adventure into Burma! It was also odd to be on Qantas and not BA but in these credit crunch times I am using my BA points (or should that now be Avios points....) this time and Qantas was all available.

Luckily, the flood problems here have receded, at least around the airport, although there was still evidence of it over a large area that could be seen as we were coming in to land. And until recently the hotel had to substitute the airport minibus for a truck for some of the short journey to the airport. But not much else changes. The staff here are the same and as helpful as ever carrying my big bag up big stairs to the room. And I was pleased to see both national and yellow flags everywhere for my arrival, all around buildings and lining my route from the airport - until that is, I realised it had been the King's birthday on the 5th...