Tuesday 29 January 2013

A girly chat... (25 - 29 January 2013)

.... well, not quite, it was actually me, the local female bar owner and the Ladyboy bar owner from next door. For some reason the last few days has been really quiet and as I sipped my pre dinner why why I got chatting to these two. Both are from the North East of the country. The ladyboy is very tall and elegant and her style of dress is rather "Duchess of Windsor". The other girl had really good English and was telling me all about her family from Isaan. She moved here to open her bar only seven months ago after spending a few years in Bangkok. She has a sister still there but her brother is still in Isaan and is a monk. Most Thai boys become a monk for a short period to gain grace for their families, but he has taken up the life full time. He is now a "teacher monk" and has many diplomas, some of which have been presented to him by the King. She was, rightly, very proud of this. We then got to talking about the King and she was telling me how many Thai's are "frightened" for the future as the King is ill and they are fearful of what will happen when he is no longer around. She says he is a good King, he has forced change here but it has been good change. The Crown Prince is not at all popular, whereas the Crown Princess is well liked. But she says there is no way she can inherit as there have always only been Kings here. So she and her friends spend time at the temple most days praying for the King's health and giving alms to the monks.
And I think there was a Royal visit here in the last few days. Lots of Thai Royal Navy ships out in the bay and loads of police lining the roads. But ships and police have now disappeared so whoever it was must have gone back to their palace.
And I am getting used to my nice little palace here although the water in my pool is a bit on the cool side! Still having a lazy time but have done the odd trip into Chaweng for a huge Sunday lunch at Tropical Murphy's, didn't realise how much I missed frozen peas!




On the songtheow on the way in there were quite a few young Europeans looking the worse for wear, but I realised that they had just got off the ferry from Koh Phangan where the Full Moon Party had taken place the night before. I think the rough ride with the windy weather didn't help any of them! And there's been a local, small fair just off the main road.


It's on for ten days and has lots of stalls selling all kinds of foods but I did avoid the fermented pork salad! Plenty of stalls selling clothes, portraits of the King, sunglasses, toiletries and a stage area where I assume the noise I hear later in the evening comes from.


There are also a few old fashioned fairground stalls where you can throw darts to burst balloons or throw tennis balls to knock down tin cans (that look suspiciously nailed down on the shelf...) and win a huge cuddly toy. But it was great to wander around and enjoy the mixed smells of bbq food and damp grass.



I've also spent a bit of time exploring the local beach but it's unusually windy at the moment so it's not that comfortable a place to spend time. I found a great little beach bar with fab sunbeds, looked like Thailand of old and smelled like it too, the faint whiff of something slightly illegal wafting about in the air....




There are some really good places to eat around here too. I did try the hotel but they don't seem to have quite got the hang of it. The restaurant is in a great location, right on the edge of the beach, with little pools and streams running through it. Staff everywhere. But their first big mistake was their inability to serve me a glass of why why, big mistake, huge..... They could do a bottle but not a glass, something to do with changing their supplier.... Then the food I ordered was not good and a complaint just met with a Thai smile.... No wonder the place is empty every night but the local places are busy.
But I haven't been too lazy, I've still managed to do a bit of walking. The dogs here seem to get more and more by the day, but I enjoy seeing the progress of a group of small puppies in the local village. And the local water buffalo population is expanding too, last night I noticed a small calf, but the mother had rather large horns so I gave her an even wider berth than normal...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad