Saturday 5 January 2013

Cultural Confusion (5 January 2013)

How lucky am I, my biggest decision most days is what and where to eat. Breakfast is sorted at the French Bakery for decent coffee and real bread, but the choice for dinner here in Mae Nam, even though it's really quiet, includes Thai (posh Thai, medium posh Thai or local Thai, on the beach or off the beach), a Thai mobile pancake stall, fresh seafood, Italian, French, Swiss, Korean, German. The only cuisine missing is British but Jordan's Sports Bar does a good line in pies, they say they are home made but I have yet to check that. But I can vouch for their pre dinner why why. An interesting place, owned, I think, by an elderly Brit and run by quite a convincing Ladyboy...
It's quite a hub on Thursdays when "Walking Street" happens, and again I have met quite a good group of expats. The usual haunt on Thursday's was The Firestation, but since an altercation between the girl behind the bar and the owner, it's not been open. She left and Thai law says that the owner can't actually work behind the bar, so no one to serve. She graphically told us her reasons for leaving, interspersed with heavily Thai accented but very British swear words. Words I'm sure they don't feature on the Thai school curriculum!
But if I'm in the mood for a bit of tv the best place for decent reliable wifi is the Rendevous restaurant. So tonight finds me eating Lasagne (no chips, so not the Welsh version...), in a French restaurant in Koh Samui and watching Made in Chelsea... Confused or what!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad