Monday 11 February 2013

Celebrations all round (8 - 10 February 2013)

A good couple of days for celebrations. On Friday, Colin and Naomi, who I first met at the Florist Resort when Carole was here, got married here at the hotel on the beach. They are such a nice family and invited me to join the evening celebrations on the beach which was really nice, they all made me feel very welcome. It did produce a bit of a sartorial conundrum though, my packing, which I thought had covered all eventualities didn't run to a wedding outfit...



But no matter, I donned my hippy long frock and a beaded necklace and as it was dark by then, I think I fitted in rather well! And Naomi looked fabulous, her Dad giving her away, just right for the setting. I particularly liked the groom and ushers in their snazzy suits but with matching sunnies and white Haviana's. Cool!


And then Saturday was the start of Chinese New Year and the hotel is full. I decided to eat in the hotel restaurant for a change and it was heaving, but on New Year's Eve it is traditional for Chinese families to eat out together and they were doing that big time! Bit of an altercation with the F & B manager who, as I wasn't partaking of the "Round Asia Buffet", tried to make me sit inside. Apparently the outside beach tables are for "buffet customers only" who get a front row seat of the fire show. Suffice to say I had my steak and chips (I know, but for once I wanted a Western carb...) under the stars.



On Sunday, I walked up to Mae Nam to see the preparations for the big New Year night at the Chinese temple there. Loads of preparation going on, sound stages, tables, chairs, it looks like it is going to be a huge party. And they were delivering and putting together the dragon, it looks like a big one! I think the evening will be a cross between a Full Moon Party and Walking Street times ten, so may give it a miss! As I sit here on Sunday evening all I can hear are fireworks and firecrackers going off in the distance.


I walk back partly along the road but then follow a sign to the Buddha Beach Bar, which Carole and I have walked past many times. A trifle unnerving walking down a small track through the coconut grove but in the end the beach bar appeared. It was the relief of a safe arrival that prompted me to order a lunchtime cube.... The waves today are big and quite dramatic and made a lovely backdrop to a relaxing hour.







But again language problems, in spite of my huge vocabulary of six Thai words, still persist. A nice touch here at turndown is the filling of the ice bucket, but tonight it was left empty. A call to guest services was a frustration of misunderstanding until I again called on my Thainglish and said "no eye". Suddenly you could hear the smile of understanding in the Guest Services Manager's voice. "Ah, no eye, we sen soo". Works every time...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Ko Samui,Thailand