Wednesday 13 February 2013

Mad Mairood (13 February 2013)

Having got over my hair raising arrival, and if you look at the pics of the walkway I was careering along with huge bag on the back of a motorbike, I think you will understand my concerns, I wake up to the full mad glory that is the Mairood Resort. It's built over a mangrove swamp on the edge of a small lagoon that goes out to the sea, basically in the back of beyond, almost on the Cambodian border, right at the narrowest part of Thailand.



The rooms are actually ok, the damp smell disappeared after the aircon has been on a while and joy of joys for a hotel in these parts, there is a separate shower area, so often the shower is just there soaking everything in its path. But I was back to that decision, water pressure or heat - the small electic shower unit incapable of providing both at the same time. Am not sure I would want one of the "fan cooled" mangrove rooms though...


It's on a largish plot with the "bungalows" around a small pool. The garden down to the water is dotted with hammocks and swinging sofas. There are also a number of large cages harbouring a variety of different birdlife as well as a range of hens and roosters wandering about to say nothing of the cats and dogs. Bit like London Zoo...











But the hens come into their own at breakfast by providing the fresh eggs, and more joy, given his restaurant background, Chin serves decent wholemeal bread! But whatever my concerns might be, this place must be a combination of the Nam Hai and the Dorchester to the people of the fishing village that is just outside the gate.
I'm not sure I've ever stayed quite so close to anything like it. The sprawling village is built over the lagoon. The walkways of concrete look a bit like a more recent Government investment, but the houses in the main are still just wooden huts over the water, topped off with corrugated iron.



All seem to be completely open on one side and as you walk by trying not to be too obviously nosy, all human life is there. People asleep on the floor in the heat of the day, kids half dressed running around, men mending their fishing nets, and old women picking over prawns and sorting out crab by cracking the claws with the few teeth they have left. Remind me not to order crab tonight... A few of the houses have some dusty goods for sale in their dark interiors, no chance of picking up a diet coke or a bottle of why why here.... Even my Thainglish is of no use outside the hotel, this is definitely not on the tourist trail, not one word of English seems to be understood out in the village. And no friendly little bars for a why why before dinner, which on reflection is probably no bad thing. Those walkways feel quite high above the water and would feel even narrower after a glass or two. But thankfully the Mairood is fully stocked with why why. And during the afternoon Chin or his sister come along to see what you fancy for dinner. No formal menus here, they just tell you what's around, you decide, tell them what level of spiciness you want and in my case, clarify the "no packchi". And at whatever time you have specified, out comes an amazing meal,



But last night's concerns about my hippy wardrobe are obviously unfounded, the owner asked me tonight if I was an artist or something back in the UK.... But it is really peaceful and I can see how people stay here for a while. Perhaps I will write that book after all...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Khlong Yai,Thailand