Sunday 22 December 2013

More Southend than Samui (15 - 21 December 2013)







Well the settled dry season hasn't arrived yet as the wind continues to batter the beach. For the last few days the see through plastic shutters have been rolled down on the beachfront and the charming beach restaurant packed away. The sea looks grey green and the beach virtually disappears as the wind pushes the surf up to the sea wall. But don't feel too sorry for me, whilst I have to have a wrap on my shoulders in the evenings if I am near the beach, everywhere else it's business as usual and I'm keeping toasty.
But not the same elsewhere here in Thailand. I stumbled upon the headline of "Cold weather kills two" and discover that the temperature in the North had fallen to the "extreme low" of 9 degrees C resulting in these deaths. Take care out there...
The Florist Resort where I am staying is owned by a Thai family and their two children came back a couple of days ago for a holiday, they are students in Melbourne. This coincided with them putting on a "returning guests" party with drinks, snacks and a band. That too felt a bit like a party in Southend - the band playing a selection of soul and Abba, the Dad sitting having a few whiseys with what looked liked the close relations including Granny, slightly inebriated Germans dancing in the corner and a few French looking with very pursed lips at the selection of snacks on offer - but they did look a bit like "Mum's been to Iceland"... But the family fight was narrowly averted. The French had spent the afternoon with the same pursed lips by the pool as an Indian child, the only boy of over indulgent parents had rereatedly jumped in and out of the water splashing all including various iPads and phones whilst the parents just looked on adoringly. As said Indian family arrived at the party they were guided towards the table with the French, only a last minute swerve to a different place saved the day!
But what is so not Southend is my lovely new room. When I was here last the area in which I am now sleeping was a run down coconut grove and the sleeping place of the local rather scary water buffalo. In a very short time it's been transformed into a rather swish 12 roomed wing all with my fave pool access rooms. Everything is new, the beds, the linen, the kettles and each room has it's own sunbeds so no fear of a German nicking it in the night. And joy of joys decent wifi, they are still messing with cables, but so far so good...
The pool looks lovely but one slight issue for me. The are little steps to get in but I still can't work out how to get out. Whichever way I look at it, it's never going to be elegant. Perhaps I'll try tonight under cover of darkness!






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:แม่น้ำ,Thailand