Tuesday 17 December 2013

Settling in... (11 December - 15 December 2013)





One of the benefits of a cold November in the UK is wearing nice cosy slippers. The downside to that is that your flip flop toes become unused to flip flopping and get to the point where even feets full of blister plasters don't stop you walking like an old woman - well more than usual that is... Two choices, don't walk anywhere (tempting...) or find temporary comfy shoes. So sad to report, I now look like a provincial German on a bad day in my fetching Crocs. So not a good look and Carole I promise to toughen the feet up before you arrive! Apparently, what I should have done according to Thai culture is to bite all new shoes before wearing for the first time. Biting them makes them not new, therefore unable to give you blisters..... Wish I'd tried that!
But all else here is as expected. Good old Bangkok Airways got me on an earlier flight with no extra charges so I got here mid afternoon. All here's much the same, some businesses closed down some new ones open. The hotel also has a new wing built, due to be finished early December, but true to Thai time it's still not ready. I am due to move there as soon as it is finished just before Xmas. I hope they do actually finish, apparently it's fully booked and don't fancy doubling up!
So time to settle in for a while. Sunday morning on a quiet Mae Nam beach watching a fisherman throw his net into the shallows and immediately bring out a net full of small fish. Fascinating to watch, he walks along the shore looking intently at the sea'a surface, choosing where to cast his net. No idea what he sees, it all looks exactly the same to me. I was never very keen on going into the sea anyway and now the realisation that there are quite a lot of decent sized fish so near the edge has put me off even more!
But pleased it's that blog time of the year again. Not planning any huge adventures but hope to report on sunny days, good food and the odd why why....




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:แม่น้ำ,Thailand