Tuesday 22 March 2016

Fat girl slim (14 - 21 March 2016)

can now finally move on! One of the reasons I have stayed in Samui so long this time was that I knew it was a good place to complete my Gill Goodwin Patent,100 day Walking Power of Ten Samui Bootcamp. Hmmmm, think I might need a snappier title for when this goes viral... Frankly I blame Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood. Too much eating of too much Bake Off baking during the summer and autumn left me with a few pounds to shift and I decided Koh Samui was the place to do it. 
So the Bootcamp regime has been (results in brackets)
1 meal per day (av 0.95)
10 miles per day (av 10.7)
10 kilos weight loss (10 kilo's + see below)
100 days (100 days)
1000 calories in per day (av in 917)
1000 calories deficit per day (av deficit 1124)
1000 miles total (1075 miles total)
100,000 calorie deficit total (112350 total)
Plus a total of 2,345,748 steps 

On paper, by dividing the calorie deficit by 3500, I lost 32 pounds, 14.6 kilo's, but unless I was a lot heavier than I thought when I started, that's not right. Sadly I don't think it's quite as straightforward as that! If that were the case I'd be able to fit Victoria Beckham clothes and I don't think that's going to happen any time soon... I do bring a lot of stuff away with me but not bathroom scales so I don't really know! But I must admit I avoid the scales anyway, it's too easy to become obsessive but I do know that my clothes now fit a lot better! Hooray...
But I've had some encouragement along the way. All the little 7/11's here have scales outside, you put in your 1 baht and get your weight and a little tune. There was a very big Russian man outside one, complaining to me that the weight machine was broken. Then he said he thought he was so big he had broken it. I was in the process of advising him to go into the shop and get his baht back when I realised it was unexpected Russian humour... He repeated again, with a glint in his eye, "it must be broken, I cannot possibly weigh that much." He told me he was 174 kilo's when he started but was now down to 160. He had such a long way to go that suddenly my pounds didn't seem so many!
Then there were the comments from people I'd see on my walk every day. My favourite was the girl in the massage parlour I walked past in the evening. She looked at me and said with outstretched arms "before, you fat, now you not", and drew her hands back in. You gotta love the Thai's, they do speak as they find like Kev on steroids! And the girl in Jordan's who looked quizzically at me with her head on one side and said "now you less". Or the lady in the little shop who every evening as I walk past does a thumbs up and says "exercise good", and one day added "slim, slim" as well. It all helps keep you going.
And just to prove what a goody goody I've been, this is the first time ever that 100 days on there's still some duty free gin left in the bottle.....
So now to move on and move forward and make sure I pack and take home the willpower I've had here because even though I do love Samui the biggest challenge now is not having to do the same next year......