Wednesday 13 February 2008

Bags of bags in Bangkok (11 -12 Feb 2008)



The last couple of days have been given over to the temple of shopping. I meant to window shop only, but found myself on a quest for the latest desirable designer handbag, a particular Louis Vuitton. I had seen a few people with it, and in various colours, so knew it must be Louis’s answer to this season’s other must have, the Fendi baguette which has just launched in ten colours. I searched high and low – the Louis Vuitton shop at the Siam centre has nothing like it – god, they’ve sold out already, time to really panic – perhaps I could e mail Harrods and get it delivered… And I know I shouldn’t be looking to get such an extravagant article, but hey ho, I’m worth it as they say in the ads. What to do – I just kept looking. I got a little sidetracked and found a real “tech-fix” place at the Pantip Plaza - 5 air conditioned storeys of every imaginable electronic device you could ever want, or indeed, never want, every computer, computer accessory, tv, vid, camera , cable – you name it, they had it, as well as just the one shop selling fragrance – how bizarre. Everything apart from the Louis bag of course. I was so tempted to buy an Asus like Deryn has and Mum wants, but absolutely no point, my little Vaio I am using does an even better job. But I had to buy something – and ended up with a padded bag for this laptop (a “nod” towards Gucci, but their design, the double “G”, is of course my initials…). Also, my flash drive broke yesterday (how convenient…) so was able to buy a 2G tiny little pink one to match my phone…. Oh dear, dignity, dignity, as a pensioner am sure I should be buying a crimplene one if such things exist. So having somewhat satisfied my tech needs for a while, I progressed to Platinum Plaza, another huge indoor shopping mall, boasting 1300 fashion stalls – surely there must be another official LV stall to buy my bag. But no, just acres of rather small, but very beautiful clothes – that’s always a bit of a problem here in Thailand, finding anything big enough. So having checked, I’m sure, all 1300 stalls I was still disappointed. I crossed the road (just – you certainly take your life in your hands doing that here) to a labyrinth of dark clothing stalls selling everything from accessories to clothes to make up to real human hair to traditional Thai dancing costumes to the less traditional Thai dancing costumes of plumed feathers, skimpy tasselled affairs and other designs probably more Patpong than Paris. But still no joy, that LV bag was nowhere to be found. By now I was hot, disappointed, tired and in need of a drink so decided to head back disconsolately to the Conrad – perhaps I could spot someone there who had one and ask where to go. But suddenly, joy of joys, I spot one, lurking under the counter of a stall on the way back, hidden from view. It was green, not really my colour, but any port in a storm. The stall had lots of designer labels – Chanel, Dior (real of course), but all were far too small for me – so I just braved it out and asked could I have one. I think the girl was so surprised by this request, she just said yes, so here am I, the proud owner of a Louis Vuitton plastic carrier bag (see pic) – am sure the trademark owners would not be pleased… but I will treasure it, and it certainly makes a change from one emblazoned with “Tesco”. After all that shopping stress, a couple of hours by the pool was called for – very civilised – as is usual they set out your bed and give you a bottle of water to keep you going (would have preferred champagne, but there you go), and I spent some time reading and relaxing. See pic of my spot by the rather Grecian looking Jacuzzi section. But the exec lounge was calling – all those lovely canapés and decent wine. It’s really interesting sitting in here, eavesdropping on the conversations – international types talking the state of the alternative energy market and a couple of older, very posh Brits. The energy guy’s view is that the politically correct people who dream up these things have no idea what they’re talking about. Bio fuels create more CO2 issues than they solve. The moral problem is also that corn is food – if it’s used for fuel, the price of corn goes up and that is the real problem as people then can’t eat cheaply – an interesting angle…. Their view was that “in the end it’s all about money…”. But the two older Brits looked and sounded as if they at one time were connected with the British Embassy just up the road, talking about “gels” (as in “girls” not hair stuff) and horses in really loud posh voices. So, all in all, another very interesting and entertaining day.