Sunday 17 February 2008

Charmed by Cambodia (15 Feb 2008)



OK, I know it’s early days, I’ve only been here in Siem Reap, home of the Angkor Wat temples, a few hours, but so far the place is charming. Not a good start, a 3 hour delay with Bangkok Airways (apparently nothing more than a broken radio), and “ welcomed” into the Kingdom by the surliest immigration officer I have yet to meet – even less charming than those at Heathrow…. The flight was all of 35mins but they managed to serve a good snack and hot tea or coffee. And you get to go in the Bangkok Airways lounge at the airport, so the delay wasn’t as bad as it might have been. The flight though, did appear to be full of Americans (they of course were all off to Raffle’s). And a chatty taxi driver who I am sure was just being friendly, but you are never sure, so I invented 3 friends who are waiting for me at the hotel…. The hotel is really nice – and at £30 a night including breakfast, it seems a bit of a bargain, and getting back after dinner, there had even been a turndown service. It’s only a year old, but one of many – on the way in from the airport you could see the huge amounts of new hotel construction. The money’s a bit of a concern, at c. 7500 riels to the pound, I feel like a millionaire, but as I’m not quite used to it, still not sure if I tipped the bellboy 2p or £20! A lovely pool area open till 10pm so I must try and get in an evening swim – or perhaps I mean an evening swim up to the swim up bar… (see pic). Before dinner I had a walk around the local area, after Bangkok, it had the feel of “real Asia” with lots of bikes and scooters and crossing the road is a bit of an issue… The English in the hotel is medium but of course hugely better than my Khmer, good basics but lacking a little in the “nuances”. Two youngish middle aged ladies had just walked through to reception, and a man who was with them was looking for them. The bellboy told him that “the two old women went that way…” more of a literal translation perhaps, but mistakes like that could take them down the charm scale! Tonight I have had a really nice meal at the hotel (so cheap even in the hotel, so I guess it would be even more of a bargain outside) and have been reading the guide books to determine the best sightseeing plan. I will keep you informed.