Friday 8 April 2011

Why no why why Thai? (6 April 2011)

I take the Bangkok Airways flight (more flyer miles....) from Phuket to Bangkok to start my journey to Sarawak in Borneo to meet up with Ant. From Bangkok I connect with Royal Jordanian (odd, I know, but it worked with my oneworld ticket) to fly down to KL. Oddly, Royal Jordanian, a oneworld airline, use the Star Alliance Lounge so I went to the Thai Royal Silk Lounge in search of some food, but more importantly a glass of much needed why why. But no why why to be had there, they serve it onboard they said, not a lot of use to me at that point..... But at least I make up for it on the flight with a couple of glasses of decent champagne, how nice that tasted! I was the only one up front, so felt like Queen Noor as I was fawned upon by the crew, felt quite at home.....



But that feeling didn't last long as I disembarked and had to find my way from KL International Airport back to the Low Cost Terminal and the Tune Hotel ready for a morning flight tomorrow. How the mighty fall..... Long story, but two buses and all of 70p later I get there to check in. You can actually see the low cost terminal area from the main airport, but it requires a 20km trip round the edge to get from one to the other! Tune Hotels are based on the same philosophy as low cost airlines i.e. you get the basics so you think you are getting a bargain, but by the time you have added on the extras you probably would have saved money going to the Interconty! I had paid for 12 hours aircon, some wifi and soap and a towel. I felt like I was checking into prison as I take my one towel and sachets of soap, shampoo and shower gel from reception. I was pleased to discover that I at least didn't have to pick up a loo roll..... And they may issue rubber gloves for me to do a clean in the morning or I may get charged for that as well! Apart from the convenience of being near the Terminal, am not sure I would book it again. It was clean, but the smallest room I have ever been in, one double bed with one foot of space around it, not ideal. And when 10 Asian monks, complete with food bowls checked in a bit later, I thought perhaps that I was back in the Ashram....


But whatever, I was on my way to Sarawak and checked in early for the Air Asia flight, Ant, here I come!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad