Monday 30 April 2012

Where have all my beaches gone.... (21 April 2012)


Songkran marks the start of the wet season here, and Mother Nature got it right for once! Since then the rain has been in evidence, with some pretty big thunderstorms and stair rod rain. But not all the time, there is still some sun in between and occasionally of an evening the mercury is a chilly 25C... But a couple of nights ago there was a really big storm, preceeded by a short, sharp wind strong enough to blow some sun umbrellas into the pool. The evidence was clear the next morning with my long sandy beach disappeared under a foaming sea and lapping right up to the walkway's edge - no sand to be seen. The main town beach in Ao Nang was the same, sand disappeared under the swirling surf. This beach is normally as crowded with longtail boats as Bluewater is with cars on a Xmas Saturday, but today, not one was to be seen.



But more rain gives me more time to spot Thai typo's. Not sure I would take my child to the Coma Clinic for "pediatric and other diseases", perhaps they make them better by getting them to sleep for a long time... Or want to quench my thirst on a cool bottle of "SWEAT" that sat proudly on display in the 7/11 chilled cabinet. Menus continue to be a challenge and I have been offered fish in breadgrum, coutons, chicken beast, frech fries, ice cream Sunday, fish sillet. And of course Gordon Blue and his chicken can be found on most Thai menus.... But I guess the most widespread are those blue notices pointing out the route to take in case of an "earthqake".
One thing I am glad is not a typo though is the carton of "butterfly pea juice" I have just bought....


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad