Wednesday 22 December 2010

The Search for Sunday Lunch (19 December 2010)

Ant has been off on his sailing course for a few days now and I have been taking the time to catch up on the "domestics" - checking bank accounts, trying to (unsuccessfully so far....) book some ferries, book a few places to stay, uploading the blog - and of course catching up on some reading. So far the iPad has been great for this as has Kent Library Service which allows me to download books, good to know I am getting some value from the extortionate council tax I still have to pay even when away. The only thing missing from this little home from home setup is I can't get my Slingbox to work here (or in Tobago). It's frustating as it was working perfectly before I left, perhaps it's just the low wifi signal here. But have missed X Factor final, Strictly final and tonight's Apprentice final. And however hard you try there's no way of avoiding seeing the winner. But if somewhere I stay in the future has a better signal I can have a reality tv fest as I assume they are still safely recorded on my Sky+ box.



Today is Sunday and for some reason I fancied a good Sunday dinner. I thought I knew just the place. The people who ran the restaurant at the hotel I stayed at last time served good Brit food and they have moved to a place not far from the hotel. What I didn't bank on was the fact that nothing here is open on Sunday. The hotel is like a ghost town anyway with very few rooms taken, and those that are, I understand from overheard conversations at breakfast, are people who are stuck here because the snow at home has cancelled their flights. But outside the hotel was like a ghost town too - very little traffic and the shops and restaurants closed. I did manage to find the supermarket at the Spiceland Mall open for emergency supplies...... The beach has been really quiet too, but today that was a lot busier with local families enjoying it on this, their day of rest. Oh well, perhaps I can go for a Cottage Pie tomorrow......but the Gill restaurant for your local bugs is stll open even on a Sunday. Don't know what on earth they are but they are eating well. Don't think they're mozzies and am not getting bitten in the evening, but even covered in horrible spray all day one or two seem to get through......  Even though the proper shops are closed, there is still shopping to be had. The odd person sidles up to you and offers you "smoke", but so far in Grenada I have not yet been offered "comfort" as I was in Tobago (work it out....). Think I was always more of a Lenor girl myself......