Wednesday 22 December 2010

The Sky At Night (20 December 2010)

Another sunny day here, bit of rain during the night but clear blue skies this morning. We have a few "titties" (sorry, Trinidad &Tobago dollars, but you know childish humour and alcohol are the mainstays of this blog......) to change back but even at the Trinidad and Tobago Bank here in Grenada, they are worthless and can't be changed. We are about 60 miles from there and no bank will take them even though they were freely (well, by providing sterling and a commission fee.....) doled out at Gatwick. Looks like the charity box at the airport will be a benificiary and it is Xmas after all.


I go and find the little restaurant run by the people I met here last time and while away a couple of hours catching up with their news and chatting to a couple of yachtie's. One guy, a 69 year old Brit lives here on his catamaran moored out at sea (moorings on land are expensive), not sure that's for me.....



I was then up at 4am to witness the lunar eclipe, a real show from nature surrounded by skies full of sparkling stars. Even though I am just outside the little main town here, there is very little light pollution so it was a spectacular sight. The moon glowed red as it was shadowed by the earth and I really wished I had one of those jazzy cameras that take good shots of everything. The fact that mine does not is witnessed by my attached snap, the best of the bunch and somewhat improved (sic) by the iPad photoshop app! The last time the lunar eclipse fell on the same day as the winter solstice (which it did this year) was back in 1638 – amazing! Charles I was on the throne and the civil unrest and riots that were to culminate in the first English civil war were just beginning. Let's hope the same pattern doesn't emerge this time round...... Cameron take note.  But people then would have been amazed at the technology we now employ - I'm actually pretty amazed myself.  Whilst this lunar eclipse was going on Ant and I (and bear in mind, he is moored somewhere in the Caribbean Sea) were communicating instantly via Facebook...


On a more positive note, we are now past the winter solstice and the days are starting to get longer in the run up to Spring and Summer!