Tuesday 7 December 2010

Heading for Room 101 (16 September 2010)



“You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world." George Orwell 1984


(Apologies for this late post but thought this ought to go on before I start my winter travels to warmer climes……)


Felt good at Gatwick - think I was the youngest person on the plane. A contingent of loud golfers added to a supply of Saga customers made me feel very sprightly! But this is a serious trip, borne more out of getting a new pin than the need for a bit of late summer sunshine. I had decided on Turkey as it was a new pin, and on Side because BA went there and I didn't have to suffer the indignity of a low coster.....


I was a bit concerned - this was planned as a budget hol - reasonable cost flight and low key hotel. But as the date drew nearer, the hotel was sliding fast down the trip advisor ratings. The main issue seemed to be a couple of dire rooms - 101 and 102. But it is a 62 roomed hotel and I couldn't possibly be that unlucky..... Wrong. I could and I was headed straight to 1984. Late at night I was led up and down various sets of dark stairs and deposited in room 101! Turkish is not one of my many fluent foreign languages but the poor security guy was fairly clear on my reaction. Felt sorry for him, he really he must get a similar reaction every time....


The room was about the size of my summerhouse at home, but without the terrace bit - my only view onto the outside world was through a small grubby window onto a roof next door. Not that i'm into swinging cats but..... Having said that there are rather a lot of cats meandering around here if I ever feel the need.


What made the room even more attractive was the highly polished pine 70's cladding that lined it - walls, ceiling and doors. I felt I would be sleeping in a small shed.


But no matter I was sure I could resolve it the next day. Wrong again... The manager's customer service skills are so well honed on this issue now, I was almost feeling sorry for him at the end of his tale of having ten other people he couldn't even fit into the hotel - obviously they have a severe over booking issue they really need to get sorted. Such a pity, the hotel is really charming, in a fantastic location with the ancient Roman ruins of Side on one side – unintended pun - (a great view of the amphitheatre as you munch your breakfast and then blue Med on the other). But the good news (so far at least...) is that the odd trippy negative about cleanliness seems unfounded. He tells me I will get a better room with the balcony I paid for tomorrow.....