Wednesday 26 December 2012

A tri nations evening (25 - 26 December 2012)

A quiet Xmas here in Mae Nam with a lot of places closed. The nearest I got was seeing two people in Santa hats and a rendition of Frosty the Snowman as I wandered past a restaurant. What the locals call "Happy New Year" seems to be bigger here but I think they can relate more to that with the size of their own huge New Year Festival, Songkran.
So Xmas Day was spent lazing in the sun and dodging the rain. No Xmas dinner to be had, not even dinner on the beach, the high waves meant all the beach restaurants were cleared away. But that didn't stop Ant and David torturing me on Facetime with all the delights I was doing without.... Vintage Krug, turkey, mince pies.... I made do with Beef Bourguignon and roast tatoes, the nearest I could find and then a quiet why why relaxing in a deck chair on the sand contemplating the stars... And for those of you overly concerned that every blog entry features why why, I can confirm that I was easily able to extricate myself from said deckchair very elegantly!
No cold turkey and chips either on Boxing Day so I repair to the local French restaurant for something to eat. As well as the why why of course, their major attraction is the fast wifi and my date with Downton Abbey via Slingbox. All slightly strange, I am in a small Thai village atmosphere, all the other restaurant patrons are French, I order in French and the smells are French, heavy perfume and drains. I guess the drains are also a Thai phenomenon but I feel very English settling down to watch the telly. How good was Downton Abbey. Not to spoil it for those who haven't watched it yet but at the end I felt like Charles de Gaulle shouting out "Non...."


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad