Friday 21 December 2012

Christmas Shopping (21 December 2012)


My excuse was actually Xmas shopping but in reality it was pre election shopping.... There is an election here for some new members of the Koh Samui ruling body, apparently as it has recently been designated a "city", things have changed and new people need to be appointed. No problem but they have certain rules here in Thailand and from 6pm on the night before the election until midnight the night of, sales of alcohol are prohibited everywhere, shops, restaurants, cafes, hotels, anywhere. Buying or selling is a big offense and I had no wish to star in one of my fave National Geographic programmes "Banged Up Abroad"! The election day was firstly planned for Xmas Day, a normal day here in Thailand but that would have meant no alcohol sales on Xmas Eve evening and the whole of Xmas Day..... As it is, prohibiting such sales on 22nd/23rd December in the high season in a place chock full of Europeans with money to spend seems a little shortsighted, but how much more of a disaster to local business if the original dates were kept. Local lore says it is the fact that they would prefer the 3000 baht or so paid by candidates to individuals to "encourage" votes to be spent on getting people to the polling booths rather than spending it booze is the reason, but I am sure that is just local lore. A better explanation is the troubled past that Thailand has around elections which they don't wish to inflame. But whatever, the hordes of happy tourists arriving for their tropical Xmas break tomorrow evening are unlikely to be saying "how sensible" when they finally check into paradise after a long flight to be told "no alcoho, ee finee. Ok in 36 hours"... But having said that they sure will enjoy that first one!
Since I arrived there have been loads of loudspeaker trucks extolling the virtues of the candidates with their pictures appearing everywhere. They do seem to have overdosed on the Olay skincare with "whitening" though, I've never seen such white faces in my life!


So hence my shopping. To manage the calories I would consume by stocking up I decide to walk to Tesco. It didn't look far on the map.... But after over an hour in 30 degree heat I gave up when I spotted Koh Samui's answer to Bluewater with a big Carrefour and a Starbuck's appear.



Forget brand loyalty as long as they sold why why.... And success, a box of Aussie wine (ok, but needs must in desperate circumstances) but still no sign of a mince pie... Lots of carols playing over the pa system and girls dressed in Santa outfits but still no mincies...
But if you are reading this the good news is that today wasn't the end of the world, glad really, it would have been a bit of a waste walking all that way. As I write Australia is into the 22nd December, but I guess there are a few hours yet to go to reach Mexico.... And more good news, the days start getting longer again, hooray! Koh Phangnam, the island I can see from where I am writing this on the beach this evening is hosting an end of the world party. They are famous for their Full Moon Parties, so have rebranded on this occasion to a Half Moon party. Will probably be able to hear them later assuming the Apocalypse doesn't happen...



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad