Thursday 20 December 2012

Bit of a miss at the Bliss Day Spa.... (20 December 2010)

... but before you get too excited this one is a long way from the London one, the name is about all they share. This is in Mae Nam village and is more like someone's front room with a few hungry fish swimming around in a tank at the front that promise the delights of the "fish spa". There are so few in there I think it would take a few hours to do anyone's feet. But I went yesterday to try out the manicure. Not too bad especially for the inflated tourist price of £4. I chose a rather fetching bright pink which looked relatively ok in the gloom, but I now think that they save money by not turning on the lights. When I emerged into the daylight they were rather luminous, not a bad thing here though, they are so bright they will help me cross the road at night, always a bit of an issue.... But apart from the colour they did a good job so I return today for the matching pedicure. I ask for the same colour - in for a penny I thought, sod dignity, just think about crossing roads safely. She duly finishes but I realise when I again emerge from the gloom, the toes are a much more subdued hue of pink. Perhaps growing old disgracefully is not so acceptable in Thailand as I thought! But whilst there I had a nice chat with a Brit/ NZ couple with a lovely child called Dylan. You will be pleased to hear I refrained from showing photos of the Dyl...
Tonight was the weekly "walking street" here in Mae Nam, where they close the two streets to traffic. No real problem as there is never any traffic anyway! It's a nice evening, lots of stalls selling crafts and street food with the accompanying aromas of Thai food being cooked over the coals as well as little pop up bars selling cocktails for £1 and live music. The food smelled really good but I did avoid the deep fried grasshopper and other insect thingy stall. Too much like I'm a Celebrity for my taste. And was sad to see that the stall selling Sunday Dinner pies wasn't there, especially as the Lazy Coconut, my previous haunt for a good Sunday roast has closed down. But interestingly more locals than tourists seemed to be there. It still seems really quiet here, no sign yet of the Xmas rush, but this hotel is full from the 22nd.
And in preparation they are decking the bar with boughs of tinsel.... so often in Thailand the design is minimalist Balinese - no so the Florist Resort, tinsel is the mot du jour......

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad