Monday 24 December 2012

Powerless Politicians (23 - 24 December 2012)




Waking up on election morning yesterday was a dark affair, as well as the black skies and heavy rain there was a power cut. Last month there was a huge political controversy as the power to the island was out for four days, also meaning no water as the pumps didn't work. Even big hotels with their own generators struggled as petrol to fuel them was in short supply but all through the political parties were still driving the streets using up precious fuel supplies with their loudspeaker trucks loudly proclaiming their message. I wondered if the power cut was some sort of political sabotage and hoped it wasn't going to be another 4 dayer! Luckily it proved to be neither as all was restored by early afternoon. And the alcohol ban whilst still in force seemed to be ignored. Local bars didn't bother to open, I guess they were too obvious a target for the local police but no issues at the hotel. Wine was served quite openly, removing the need for my "secret water". Although I have to admit Ant and my secret gin or Bacardi water is a little less obvious. An Aussie white in a water bottle does look a little too much like some sort of "sample" for even me to find appetising!
And this morning was even darker than yesterday, apart from a few hours in the night the power stayed on, but this morning big black clouds were depositing huge amounts of much needed water on the place. Huge waves made the beach almost disappear and all the tables from the hotel beach restaurant were moved inside. The grey skies persisted all day and it even felt chilly in the wind chill, well that is my version of wind chill, probably a bit different to most people...
So a couple of days both literally and figuratively chillin' out. Just last minute shopping, tonic water, crisps, you get the idea!



So it's Xmas Eve here, seven hours ahead of the UK and the good news according to Flightradar 24 is that Santa's on his way. I hope he brings me sunshine!
They also tell me he's flying at a different altitude to avoid the issues he faced last year...



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad