Sunday 2 May 2010

Li-lo Gill (29 April 2010)



Mission accomplished! I finally find my Li-lo. I ventured to Kuta today, Bali’s party seaside as I was sure I’d find a bucket and spade shop there. Kuta and Legian beaches both merge together, and are a long yellow sand beach, with surfing waves, which is probably why it’s so popular with the Aussies. Kev, Ant and I watched the last sunset of last millennium from there, so it had special memories. The beach is big but not crowded and the streets that run parallel are full of bars, clothes and souvenir shops. It’s not a peaceful place to be – they are desperate for business and you can’t walk more than a few metres without getting harassed to buy something or go into the shop. And as well as the D&G, Versace and other “designer” stores there is also a Paul Smith – full of stripey looky likeys! But if I want a beach holiday in Bali, this isn’t the place I’d visit. Lots of life but very busy – the traffic is a nightmare – so it would be good to party but not for peace!

Yet even with all these shops, I still couldn’t find a li-lo – plenty of surf shops, but guess you can’t surf on a li-lo. Not sure what some of the shops thought I was asking for as I mimed what I wanted and used simple English (my Bahasa Indonesian hasn’t progressed too far yet....) – by the look on some of their faces, I think they may have thought I wanted a blow up doll! So I make one last try and decide to visit Carrefour – it’s always fun visiting a European brand in Asia. Carrefour is huge – on the fourth floor of a shopping complex and as big as the one we go to in Calais. Only difference is that the wine section is miniscule and very expensive. But as I did get my li-lo that's probably a good thing - can you be done for beiing drunk in charge of a li-lo?  – full report tomorrow!