Wednesday 5 May 2010

Flying snakes! (5 May 2010)


This snake thing is probably getting a bit boring for you now but there has been yet another sighting, a bit different this time! I was happily sitting reading under the sun umbrella this morning when something dropped onto it and bounced off onto the floor. I thought it might be a small coconut but it sounded a bit squishy so perhaps it was a frog – they can leap all over the place. It wasn’t until I took a look that I saw it was a snake! It looked a bit dazed as I think it had fallen from a very high tree, and then bounced onto the ground. I was quite impressed with myself that I was collected enough to get the camera and take this pic before calling the housekeeping lady to take a look. She called one of the men who arrived with the usual big stick but too late, we had seen it slithering away into the undergrowth. They were quite upset that it had gone as they would have been able to sell it to the factory down the road who use them to make bags, shoes and belts. Apparently it was such a nice pattern it would have been good for this..... The guy sprinkled a little salt around as snakes are not too keen on this and Listi the Manager who came later said that they would put some stuff down tonight..... So yet again, I am on permanent snake watch, but this time from the sky!