Sunday 2 May 2010

Lovin' the li-lo (1 May 2010)



The people here at the villa arranged to have my li-lo inflated and it works a treat! It’s great just having a float around and looking at the sky. I had planned to do some star spotting this way tonight as the pool gets even warmer at night, but unfortunately the clouds have blown in.




But I don’t just lie in the pool all day, just most of it! I am making the most of the dry weather (by getting wet in the pool....) but the forecast says back to rain in a few days. I still manage a walk in the village in the morning. Snake sightings have increased by two, luckily both dead again on the road......

I walked down to the fishing bit today – and there were a group of women squatting on the black sand negotiating with some guys to sell pitiful bits of fish out of a red washing up bowl. The sound was a mix of serious bargaining and cackling laughter, the smell was fish and clove cigarettes. I then walk round to the other slightly larger beach by the big temple, and on the way meet two ladies who had been obviously clearing some stuff. One had a big bundle of dead vegetation carried on her head, and the other was carrying the machete..... They said hello and after that I couldn’t understand a word which is frustrating. Even sign language didn’t help. But I was able to use my third Balinese word I have learned – “nama” which is name. So the total understanding of this conversation was that she knows my name and I know hers! But I have to say it’s not often I walk down the “High Street” with a lady sporting a machete....



Down at the beach, there are loads of local kids as it’s Saturday, young teenagers on bikes and kids flying kites that look as if they have been home made from black bin bags. And I might be missing the election at home, but there is one here – take a look at these two candidates – who would you trust more, them or Gordon Brown......