Tuesday 28 September 2010

Walkies! (Monday 12 July 2010)

These lift things are a bit odd.........



I was so excited this morning – my first walk into the French Alps. I don’t think the grown ups are very intelligent, they seemed to pore (or should that be “paw”....) over the map for ages but when we set out they still weren’t very sure where we were going. We walked through Chamonix, a nice level walk along a rather raging river, until we arrived at Lea Praz and a ski lift up to Flegere (1877 metres). As they allowed Alfie and I on this lift, we decided to go up. I was a bit scared to start with but soon got used to it – at least I didn’t have to close my eyes like silly Aunty Allsort’s! From there, we walked over to the Planpraz ski lift (2000 metres). We thought it was a levelish walk but no, we were up hill and down dale, lots of narrow paths with stones and boulders and some lovely flowers. Some of the edges were a bit scary though, but I loved the freedom of just going where I wanted. Allfie was the same but we were quite good – if we went a bit too far ahead, we would always make sure we turned back to make sure no one had fallen off the mountain – I think I may apply for a job here and be one of those mountain rescue dogs with a barrel of brandy round my neck – but being with this lot it wouldn’t last long – one broken fingernail and they’d be reaching for that brandy.....

 



Me and my mate Alfie find a cool pool in the mountains

Even though we were so high, it was still very hot, but as I crested a hill I spotted a stone bath full of cold spring water and invited Alfie in for a cooling splash. After cooling down there we carried on walking – Alfie and I loved it – we kept going on forward and then coming back in our roles of mountain security, so I think we walked twice as far as the grown ups. And then in the distance we spotted snow! How odd – it was really hot but we could roll around in snow..... The grown ups were all a bit daft and had had snow fights but Alfie and I were a lot more sensible and just rolled around in it to cool down – I really was quite excited to see it but pretended I was being really “cool”. Finally (even Alfie and I were getting a bit tired by now) we spotted the cafe at the Planpraz ski lift. Yet again more booze (well for the Daddies’ – Aunty Allsorts was much more sensible and stuck to water), and a record I gather at 9.50 Euro’s for one half litre of beer! And then on to the ski lift down. I wasn’t sure about these lifts to start with – they go up quite high and rather fast, but I soon learned to enjoy them.



Knackered!
Alfie and I were a bit tired tonight, so the grown ups went out without us – we loved it – we had a good old goss about them all and then snoozed for England on the comfy sofas. I had a bit of a panic though at one stage – there was a thunderstorm and Alfie was a bit spooked, but I am so brave, I calmed him down. They were full of it when they got back, they had sat at a local Savoy restaurant and eaten loads of cheese – fondues and tartiflettes and they also discovered the local rose wine – no change there then!