Wednesday 9 March 2011

It's Like Being Back In Chamonix.... (7 March 2011)

... but without the Dyl, Alfie, the snow and the rose wine! Today I venture further afield to the much vaunted Langkawi Cablecar ride. Still no public transport so a taxi Northwest to Pantai Kok near the super expensive Datai. It's on this trip, I realise there's not much to Langkawi, any life is centered around Pantai Cenang where I am. The flash hotels in the rest of the island are all really isolated. But when I say not much to Langkawi, I mean not much life, the island itself is beautiful. Quiet, very little traffic, green everywhere, and isolated beaches wherever you turn. Lots of mountains - well big hills - rainforest, and some interesting trees. One in particular I saw today was very different. It was much taller than the rest and stuck up way above the canopy with strange spiky branches. It was only when I took a closer look that I realised it was a very tall phone mast which they had tried to disguise by adding branches festooned with what looked like green bottle brushes attached....



The cablecar is situated in the Geopark, at the Oriental Village which is a hodge podge collection of souvenir shops, small restaurants and a mini zoo. I bypassed these to the cable car. I had read tales of waits to get on for hours in the heat but today was no problem, I was on it before I had time to chicken out. It's quite impressive, especially the last bit which rises at a very steep 45 degree angle. It was a very clear, quiet day, but the wind still whistled through the gondola and moved it a little from side to side.


The view from the top is spectacular, you can see most of the island laid out before you and apparently on a good day can also see the Thai coast. You can see the different shades of blue and green in the sea and the narrow white strips every now and then of the white beaches. You also have the opportunity to go across a 410 ft curved pedestrain bridge 2300 ft above sea level. It's a steep climb down to get to it but worth it, as it links two high peaks and apart from the wobbling under my feet and the view of the deep chasm under my feet through the gaps in the walkway it was fine..... The climb back up to the cablecar was however a little more of a challenge. But I was paid a backhanded compliment on the way. There was a young Indian couple climbing back up at the same time and the girl was really struggling. The guy said to me that she was a disgrace, look at you he said, you are old enough to be her mother (sad, but true....) and you are very strong.... It spurred me on!


My next stop was to be the Summer Palace, which was the set bulit for the film Anna and the King, the Jodie Foster 1999 version with costumes etc. I was really looking forward to it, as I have the film on my iPad and have watched it a few times. The was a bit of confusion at the taxi stand, but yes, they would take me. We get there and all I could see was a new, hideous, modern hotel. Yes, the taxi driver said, this is where the Summer Palace was, but no more. It closed years ago and they built this hotel instead.... I cut my losses and return to Pantai Chenang....Tonight more wardrobe problems. Last night a rather flash invitation to the Manager's cocktail party was slipped under the door. As you know, I am always up for a free why why so decided to go. I meet up with a few Brits who I hadn't seen so far, in fact I decided they were an endangered species. Nice people. But they are all here for months at a time. Now this hotel is nice, but not sure I could do five months..... I also discover who the rest of the Europeans are here. There is a direct flight here from Helsinki during the Winter, last one goes back tomorrow. They obviously time them well. The rainy season isn't due till the end of April. So why did I get soaked today....... and why am I watching a very impressive thunderstorm over the sea in the distance.....



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad