Monday 28 March 2011

The Sun Has Got Its Hat On.... (24 - 27 March 2011)

....hip, hip, hip, hooray.... Sorry, just indulging in a favourite fantasy! This hasn't been the sunniest of trips but two days ago there was 24 hours of solid, non stop, heavy rain, all day, all night. Yesterday morning the rain dampened down to a light drizzle but at 3pm it started again. And it goes on, and on, and on. This morning it's still raining and the forecast, due to low pressure, is the same for the rest of the week. Can't work it out as normally in March here in Phuket, there are only four days in the whole month with any rain and now we have flood warnings across the whole of central and Southern Thailand. Obviously the climate change Gods did not listen to anyone participating in Earth Hour a few days ago...
Yesterday in the few hour respite, I walked down into Patong to take a look at the QM2 that had docked. As cruise ships go, it is one of the more stylish I think. It really changed the town demographics with the Russian voices now in the minority and replaced with Brits and elderly Americans.



There's not a huge amount to do in Phuket when there is torrential rain all day so am thankful for the films on the iPad, e books and Slingbox. And my jumper, it's chilly sitting on the balcony! Went online to see what the tourist board suggest for rainy days here and one suggestion was to top up with a bit of plastic surgery - now there's an idea.... But for now I think I will stick to browsing round the shops and stalls yet again.




The local tailoring shops still haven't got my business, and this one offered an interesting choice of couture, Chanel or Marks and Spencer. I was tempted by the shop who advertise "we spik inglish". I haven't yet felt the need for a "mancure" or indeed "temporary tatoe", but you never know what rain induced boredom might cause.... But clothes shopping here is difficult. On looking on one stall for a new swimming cossie, I pick up the largest size I could find, but even I, with eternal hope, knew it was hopeless. However, ever the saleswoman, the stall owner picked it up, stretched it beyond where it was never meant to go and said, with as much sincerity as she could muster (and that wasn't a lot), "it we be fy, you really no tha beeg....".

But the Thai's don't have it all when it comes to language issues. I stop for a Starbucks and read on the cardboard round my coffee "this sleeve is made from 60% post consumer fibre". Thoughts of All Bran and open drains.....
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad