Saturday 24 December 2011

Am with you in spirit... (23 December 2011)


And by that I don't mean a large gin... well perhaps a small why why whilst shopping!  So today is a huge shopping day, the last full day before Xmas, so the BBC keep telling me so thought I ought to do the right thing and join in.  But not a sprout in sight... there may have been no sprouts, but lots of apples... Well an apple store at least.  My iPod touch is so old now that I couldn't even pair bluetooth headphones to it, so it was time for a tech fix.  As usual these things are so much cheaper outside the UK and have just saved myself £85 (25%), and from a proper shop so it is not a fake.  Not too sure about the rather fetching LV cover I bought to go with it (from a different shop, I hasten to add....) Am now the proud owner of a nice white 64G one but of course now have to face the tech trials of iTunes and transferring data - perhaps I will need to join you in a little Xmas spirit to get that sorted... Wish me luck....

Do you think Louis would approve.....

But I am also pleased to say that my Thai language skills have come to the fore yet again, this time translating Russian English into Thai English. In the apple store the Russian customer and Thai shop assistant were having communication issues, so I decided to play the good samaritan and step in to help, it is Xmas after all and goodwill to all men and all that.... I was amazed, I translated the shop assistant's Thai English into English the Russian customer could understand and then the Russian English back to the shop assistant in Thai English. Result, perfect communication, I can see a business opportunity here. And you thought my skills were limited to why why and stee rye!  But sadly the Russian, reinforcing the national stereotype, didn't bother to say thankyou either to me or to the guy behind the counter who helped him... No goodwill to all men there it seems....
Dinner in town tonight and a lot busier, it seems the Xmas spirit is alive and well. Two Westerners in a drunken brawl being separated by two tiny Thai girls.  And an amusing spirited argument in the restaurant at a table of four German men and one Thai girl.  She was really sticking to her guns, and all seemed resolved by one of them nipping off to the cash point for more money - go girl!