Monday 26 December 2011

What a lovely Xmas day (25 December 2011)


Breakfast in the sunshine and then a tuk tuk into Patong to meet up with Grant, Corina, Charlotte and Jonathon.  I shared the ride to Patong with three Norwegians (no "nil points jokes please....) and in the usual conversations about "where are you from " they said they knew I was English because I looked it.  I wonder why that is? Is it the beautiful English rose complexion, the cheap Primark clothes or the fact that I am never far from a why why - answers on a postcard please....

Xmas  lunch

Grant, Corina, Jonathon and Charlotte are here on their S E Asia cruise on the posh Legend of the Seas.  They were off on an elephant safari for the morning and really enjoyed it, but were in need of food when we met up after their early start.  So into the Jungceylon Centre for a great Thai lunch, followed by a trip to my shopping stop place for another why why and free wifi.  We skyped Ken and Ann back in the UK but the wind here is so strong today that it was hard to hear anything over it.  Their ship is moored out in the bay, but the wind is so bad that they couldn't use the usual tenders to get in and out... All I can say is I'm glad I am not joining them on their trip to Phi Phi Island tomorrow, it might be a rough ride...  Then off down the Bangla Road to see the "sights" with Grant trying to spot who was a lady boy and who wasn't! And a lesson in why not to be too soft when it comes to "street kids".  A really cute tiny Thai child approached Corina to buy a garland of flowers for £2. She is a bit of a softie, but couldn't buy them as nothing like that is allowed back on the ship.  The child turned on the tears stroking Corina's arm.  When she finally realised it was no sale, the child hardened her eyes and she spat out "f**k off then".  Her English was better than we gave her credit for!


But like Cinderellas they needed to get back on board for dinner, as the ship keeps time at one hour ahead of Thailand.  

So now as you all struggle to fit large turkeys into small ovens, I sit by the pool, enjoying the warm evening and watching the palms bending over almost double in the wind.  I got a text from them later to say they managed, due to their VIP staus to jump the four hour queue to get back on board due to the terrible conditions, they were soaked when they got back, and no food available on the ship as a lot of the staff were stranded ashore!  And their trip to Phi Phi tomorrow is cancelled due to the weather.

Facetime to  facetime,, Thailand  to  Wales

So I have a Xmas evening spent with friends too.  The miracles of Facetime take me to Gothic Villa to spend time with Ant, David and the Dyl.  So clever is it that I felt I could actually smell the turkey cooking and am still salivating over their taunting of me with a good champagne and Ant's home made mince pies.  Now a Pad Thai is all very well, but at this moment, I think I would sell my soul for a good English Xmas lunch in a cosy cottage in Wales with them. Then transported to Twickenham, to see Mum, Christine, the Harvey's and Totes, whose new nickname I gather is Roy as in short for royalty, that fits!  Looks like a good time was being had by all.  But now I regret the seven hour time difference as it would be lovely to settle down now and watch Downton Abbey with the rest of the nation, but hopefully Slingbox is still working and I can look forward to that on Boxing Day!