Tuesday 13 December 2011

TV Heaven (10 - 12 December 2011)

Hooray, the trusty Slingbox works fine so I am now able to look at the news, twitter and Facebook. Had to stop looking at any of these as the time difference here meant that I had to watch both X Factor episodes after they were shown in the UK and didn't want to see the result. Even I am not such a fan as to get up at 3am to watch! On Sunday night the rain was bucketing down so it was nice to sit and watch the telly. I had made it (or should that be waded....) to the little restaurant next door to the hotel - Ann's Place - where the food was good, but a little less so on the booze front. Faced with a choice of Thai wine or Thai whisky, I opted for the only other choice (well, I could have had a soft drink I suppose.....) and went for the Bacardi Breezer, I could get a taste for those.... Another bargain, chicken, stee rye and said drink all for £4. And yet more evidence of the dangers of Thai motorbikes, there was a guy in there bandaged like a mummy. All I can say is that had he never hired that bike, he would have had a much more even suntan to take home....




There are loads of places to eat here but have so far managed to avoid the "Cat and Bumroong" on the beach.... And indeed today I find Nirvana. I wandered up the main street tonight (Monday) and chanced the "Little Mermaid". Right on the street so you can watch the promenaders as they walk by, inhale the tuk tuk fumes, smell the drains, say no to the traders walkng by selling LED bunny ears and manicure sets, and wallow in the cacophony of the remaining taders touting their wares. OK so perhaps not the best location but the menu looked decent and it was busy and what I thought was a good price. When she took my order she asked if I wanted the included why why or salad. Now those of you who know me would of course expect me to choose the healthful salad, but bearing in mind warnings about eating salads abroad, I had no choice but to have the why why... So a plate of good spag bol (back on stee rye tomorrow) plus a glass of the best why why so far all for £3.69 at today's exchange rates. Looks like the "Little Mermaid" from now on then!