Sunday 18 December 2011

Xmas is coming.... (12 - 16 December 2011)


.....and Gill is getting fat!  Thought I needed to put a baht in the old man's hat to get some thin karma... It worked, after a week of searching, I have finally found somewhere to get a skinny latte.  Apart from diet coke, everything else here including the milk is full on fat.  Add to that a few days of rather heavy rain so less walking and copious amounts of stee rye it was in danger of getting out of hand! So on another cloudy but lovely and warm day I sit outside the Movenpick cafe and enjoy a good skinny decaf....  If it's a skinny one, does that mean that the little spice cake that comes with it is low calorie too?
But Xmas has been slow to come to Karon.  Apart from the "calming" music of Jingle Bells and "I Wish That It Was Xmas Every Day" (not a sentiment I agree with.....) as I boarded the Bangkok Airways flight, Xmas here has been strangely absent.  Until last night - now we have a veritable forest of Xmas trees growing up everywhere.
I went into "town" (Patong) a couple of days ago to look at the shops and to get a taste of home.  It's still there in abundance with Pizza Hut, McD's, Subway, Starbucks, Burger King , KFC and the shopping is still same, same.  Not sure why I expected anything different really! And of course Boots to stock up on yet more mozzie spray, I must be breathing Deet by now but the little b******s are still biting.  I got very excited when I saw that Boots have introduced their Ad Card here in Thailand, but sadly it's not gone global yet, so no baht points to add to my total! And on the notorious Bangla Road, I noticed a new outlet.  Now we've all heard of child day care and even doggie day care, but here in Patong you can get "Husband Day Care".  Apparently you leave your husband there whilst you go shopping and "our sexy girls" will look after them....  Xmas was much also more in evidence in Patong with carols blaring out in shops, from bars and even tuk tuks.  Jingle Bells in Thai does sound a bit odd... And the checkout staff in Carrefour all sporting Santa hats and a ginormous display of plastic Xmas trees.  I thought (but not for long....) of joining in with it all by buying a LED illuminated Santa hat, but you will be pleased to hear I decided against it.
Dinner a couple more nights at the Little Mermaid.  Not sure if they think it's my name, but they now greet me with "Hello, why why?......