Sunday 25 December 2011

No room at the inn... (24 December 2011)


The nearest we are getting to a white Xmas here is the carpet of frangipani flowers all over the decking that get knocked off the trees by the odd heavy downpour... With all the non Brit Europeans here, Xmas Eve is the big day, and every hotel (apart from here thank goodness) has a poster outside advertising their gala dinner. And everyone around the pool was sporting their Santa hats today and wishing everyone happy xmas.  I had to double check the calendar to see I hadn't lost a day...  So with all their celebrating done today, looks like I'll be a solo Santa hat wearing sunbather tomorrow! But today, with all my Xmas shopping done yesterday, no last minute stuff for me, just a leisurely walk along the beach this morning and a lazy afternoon by the pool, with the odd tech problem thrown in. Why is iTunes so difficult?   All I want to do is transfer music from the iPad to the iTouch, but it does not go smoothly. And I hate Windows, why does it always play up.  OK Ant, I know, I should go the total Mac route....
So tonight's the night here in Karon.  All the "girls" are dressed in red and Santa hats. According to the Danes next door, the tradition for most people here is a big evening meal followed by presents - explains all the kids about tonight in their new clothes and up rather too late for my liking....
But no room at my favourite inn tonight, I arrive to find it closed for a Xmas Eve dinner booking. So round the corner to another place that looked nice.  Not one of my more successful meals - well, the green curry was really good, but a disaster on the why why front.  It's blowing a real gale here tonight, and at one point something heavy landed on the bamboo roof above me and dropped a pile of detritus right into my why why... Looking back of course it could have landed on me, but at the time...

Nothing for it but to give up and wander back to the peace of the hotel.  The walk back was somewhat bizarre, nearly getting knocked over in the wind, "O Little Town of Bethlehem" in tinkly Thai voices and language streaming out from a hotel's gala dinner, Thai's wishing everyone "Happy Xmas" and sounding exactly like (for those of you were privileged enough to hear it), Kev's very funny impression of the old Pope's Xmas message. And feeling like walking through downtown Baghdad as the fireworks are going off left, right and centre.  And when I finally get back a young guy and what looked like his Xmas present to himself in the form of a Thai girl, getting to know each other rather intimately on their balcony as I walked past!
Happy Xmas everyone, have a lovely day. xxx