Sunday 18 April 2010

A Bali pilgrimage (14 April 2010)

A special day today, I went to Sanur Beach. This was where I stayed when I met up with Kev and Ant out in Bali all those years ago and where we came back to to celebrate the millennium. I went to the Segara Village hotel which has certainly spruced itself up since it was a Kuoni 3* when we were there. It looks quite different now with lots of nice looking rooms and pools and silk covered day beds on the balconies and terraces.

 I look for the pool where we celebrated New Year that first time but think it’s changed a bit. I also searched for the place where we spent the millennium on Sanur Beach – but wasn’t sure I found it – was it the Mango restaurant – don’t know! But the Sanur Beach Market is still there and you still can’t walk along the beach without being asked to “come look my shop” or “morning price”. The beach still looks about the same except that they have built a few groynes out to sea, they must have had a problem with shifting sand.

But I get back at lunchtime to miss the rain – again! Luckily I did, it was a really heavy one today so I sat in the hotel restaurant – I didn’t have time to get to the room before the heavens opened and chatted to a nice Aussie lady who is here with her daughters. And the snake saga goes on, this morning apparently there was another snake sighting and catching – I am extra careful as I walk around now!