Friday 9 April 2010

Into the Southern hemisphere (8 April 2010)

I am pleased to report that I survived my flight to Bali – not because of bad weather or any other problem but because it was in economy on a no frills flight..... even with Bangkok Airways you get a little lounge! And there was not even a glass of bubbly to help me on my way as it’s a dry airline.... But actually Air Asia wasn’t too bad at all. I had prepaid to get a decent seat (1A, my favourite...) and prepaid to be able to take my luggage. But the 6.15 am take off was a bit early for me....  But not a busy flight so I had seats 1a, b and c all to myself.

4 ¼ hours later I arrive at Denpasar Airport – and the smell of the incense and clove cigarettes that are everywhere took me right back to twenty years ago when I first came here to meet up with Kev and Ant. As well as the smell, I don’t think the airport has changed either in twenty years..... I am staying in Ubud towards the centre of the island for two weeks and the drive took us past Kuta, where Kev, Ant and I, when we were last here ten years ago, watched the last sunset of the millennium, then through Sanur where we all stayed the first time we were here, and where we saw in the new millennium on the second visit – happy and sad memories. Looking at it, it seems I come here every ten years, so I am looking forward to 2020!