Sunday 18 April 2010

Belt and braces in the rice paddies (17 April 2010)



There are so many offerings here it’s difficult to keep track. On the pavements, in the restaurants, little temples everywhere and today I notice the offerings late afternoon being placed in the little temples that dot the rice fields. I need to learn what they mean but as well as placing the little baskets there’s a lot of sprinkling of water using a frangipani flower head. But I also notice today that they don’t leave the rice crop only to chance. This afternoon they have been scattering some noxious substance over the rice fields – bright green and again very labour intensive. A small green watering can that you would use in a garden at home is filled and then sprayed around. So offerings and chemicals to help the rice along. No organic farming here, although the hotel restaurant proudly states that is uses organic rice only and no msg.


I also thought today that they had made offerings to the sun god as there was no rain during the day, but it did eventually turn up in the evening with another of the big storms I am unfortunately so familiar with. They really are quite spectacular with lightning illuminating the rice paddies and the thunder shaking the windows and doors. But the weather forecast does look a little more promising over the next few days, I do hope so, it’s difficult to do anything as the rain is just so heavy.



I’ve also been following the disaster of the Iceland volcano and the flight bans all over Europe. Strangely enough for the first time today, I notice I have my own volcano in the distance that I can see from my terrace – so far it’s been covered with cloud and mist so I have hardly seen it. This morning it was much clearer so I hope that is another sign of better weather to come. I think it’s Mt Batur, Bali’s most active volcano, so let’s just hope that one doesn’t decide to blow.....  But interesting that I have been "volcano facing" on both the first (Guatemala) and last stops on this trip!