Thursday 29 April 2010

Lie low in Seminyak (25 April 2010)


Today I explore Seminyak, a relatively new, upscale area just north of Kuta. It’s full of nice little shops and restaurants as well as lots of posh villas. Villas seem to be taking over a lot here and the taxi driver was telling me about all the rice fields that are being built on to accommodate them. At least the villa I am in was built on non agricultural land, not suitable for rice or anything else apparently, so I don’t feel too guilty. It’s amazing, there are rice fields everywhere, and some beautiful, really heavily tiered ones on the way to Seminyak, yet they still have to import rice. But I suppose the tourist dollar produces more than the back breaking rice fields. Seminyak is further north than Kuta and Legian so I think it’s a sort of resort “spread”. The next place in Canguu and Echo Beach near here, which are growing apace. Not sure that resorts will get here though, whilst the beach is wide and impressive, the sand is black volcanic with huge waves, neither attractive for sunbathing or safe for swimming. There was a power cut whilst I was there so the posh place I stopped at couldn’t do coffee (nor could I use the free wifi....) so unfortunately I had to have a cocktail – well it might be an upmarket place but they know how to charge – a simple Mojito at £7... But I discover as I go to the supermarket for a few bits and pieces that alcohol is really expensive here. But one of the things I really wanted was a lilo for the pool, Carole and I had such fun with one last year in Thailand. All I wanted was a bucket and spade shop and all I could find were very nice clothes, art and antique shops – not a naff shop in sight, I’ll have to try Kuta.


It was obviously a day for power cuts today, the villa (and whole village) went dark for a couple of hours this evening, but power is a big issue in Bali and it’s not uncommon.


And today, I got picked up! A rather attractive 40 something man in Seminyak asked me if I was looking for money exchange, when I was actually looking for the ATM. We got chatting, his name was Raphael and he was from Tenerife, but spends part of the year in Bali. He said it would be good if we got together for coffee or something(!) and whilst he had to get away then, he gave me his phone number. Sadly, am too much of a wimp to call. Julia Roberts has just left Bali (Ubud actually) where she was filming “Eat, Love, Pray” and even though I thought I would have more of a chance of her coming back to do the film of the blog if I went for such an adventure, I still couldn’t! I’ve certainly done the “eat” bit, some yoga perhaps takes care of the “pray” – perhaps this could have filled the “love”..... Such is life....