Tuesday 20 April 2010

Cat poo chino (20 April 2010)





Today I tried an Indonesian speciality, a very expensive coffee, and one that’s not available at your local Starbuck’s. I’m not that keen on Balinese coffee anyway, it’s a bit muddy as they leave all the grounds in the cup, but this one goes that bit further.... The local civet cat type animal has a penchant for the tastiest and ripest coffee beans which it pops out each night to eat. Having eaten them, and it has gone the full length of its digestive system and come out the other end, it leaves the remains including the semi digested beans on the forest floor. Next morning, out come the locals and pick it up, give it a bit of a wash to find the remains of the beans which have semi fermented, roast it, grind it, add a bit of hot water and drink it. It is meant to have a deeper musky flavour than the usual stuff and is much prized. You know me, always up for a challenge, so I say hang the cost and I try it. All I can say, it’s not worth the expense and I have the cipro’s ready..... It made me laugh it was so gross, so let’s hope it’s worth a chilled bottle of bubbly.....